Newb Looking To Pick Up A Ls400

AirForceRacer

Hey guys, Names Jared. Im in the Air Force Stationed outside St. Louis,MO at Scott AFB. I currently have a 2003 Cobra and 1974 Plymouth Duster. Ive had the Duster since I was 15. Cobra is a DD when weather permits. Im looking into buying a 1992 LS400 I found on craiglist. Need your guys help if the vehicle would be worth the trouble or not. Ive worked on cars since I was 15. Im not scared to tackle a project.

Here is the car....

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2613319429.html

Ive been in contact with the owner and Im going to look at it tomorrow. He says he has all the parts that he took out minus the rear windshield. Passager and driver windows and motors have been taken out. How hard would it be to put back in? Also the owner thinks the diver side upper control arms needs to be replaced also maybe the ball joint. He used to drive the car before he started to strip it. He said the car drove great. Motor tranny and drivetrain are strong. Everything works on the car. Right now he says the battery is dead so the car wont start. I plan on bring an extra battery. Jumper Cables and basic hand tools if needed.

Giving he has all the parts for it and nothing major is wrong with it do you guys think it would be worth it? When I go look at the car is there anything I should look for? Any speical areas to look at?

Thanks alot.

If all works out I want to pick it up and in a weekend put everything back into the car an have nice car to drive to and forth to work.

Jared, Jared. You remind me of my son who is in the Navy. He would ask me the same thing about it. So, here is my 'fatherly' advice. Just pass on this one, unless you really, really, really love surprises and have the time and cash to spare. By all means go look at it. But question everything this guy says about the vehicle. Yeah, they all were driven by little old ladies and doctors and of course, 'babied".

You obviously have good taste in cars and a nice LS would be a pleasure to own and drive. But save the coin and buy one that is all there and really babied. They are out there. It just takes a bit more looking. Be patient. This deal may seem appealing for a mere $800 but you would be amazed at how much you will have in it when it is all done. Pass.

The fact that the present owner wanted to AUTOCROSS an LS means he's a mental case. That's enough to stay away all by itself. Buying a box of bits and then assembling the car.....do you want to drive an LS or spend time in the garage? Buy a complete car that can be inspected and driven properly. Even small parts on these cars are expensive. Missing or broken bits will put the final price higher than buying a complete car.

Run, don't walk, away. I'd be wary of the present owner as what he's got may be contagious.....

Well a friend and I went out to go look at the car. Walked into the garage. Crap was all over the car. All the door panels, windows, inside trim and what not were everywhere. Talked to the owner. Did a couple walk arounds. Front seats are still in the car all carpet and rear seat. The front driver side tire was flat and battery dead. We pushed the car out the garage and jumped it with my Cobra. Filled the tire up and it held air. Took her around the block couple times. WOW car rides awesome. Pulled in and looked around the garage too make sure he had pretty much everything to put the car back together. I offered him $400 for it. Figured Id try. He countered says a scrap yard offered him $500 to scrap it. So I fired back OK Ill give you $500. He said OK deal. Then paused and said how bout we do $550. I was like you just said $500. He went Oh crap ok $500. lol My Buddy started laughing. So we loaded up the car with all the parts in the garage and wrote up a bill of sale and then drove the car home 45mins. Car never over heated. Nothing wrong but the windows and door panels needing to be replaced. Im going to start a new "build" thread with pics of putting it back together. STAY TUNED!!!

Well a friend and I went out to go look at the car. Walked into the garage. Crap was all over the car. All the door panels, windows, inside trim and what not were everywhere. Talked to the owner. Did a couple walk arounds. Front seats are still in the car all carpet and rear seat. The front driver side tire was flat and battery dead. We pushed the car out the garage and jumped it with my Cobra. Filled the tire up and it held air. Took her around the block couple times. WOW car rides awesome. Pulled in and looked around the garage too make sure he had pretty much everything to put the car back together. I offered him $400 for it. Figured Id try. He countered says a scrap yard offered him $500 to scrap it. So I fired back OK Ill give you $500. He said OK deal. Then paused and said how bout we do $550. I was like you just said $500. He went Oh crap ok $500. lol My Buddy started laughing. So we loaded up the car with all the parts in the garage and wrote up a bill of sale and then drove the car home 45mins. Car never over heated. Nothing wrong but the windows and door panels needing to be replaced. Im going to start a new "build" thread with pics of putting it back together. STAY TUNED!!!

Holy cow congrats! Amazing what people are willing to get rid of. Does it have the original struts? Any suspension problems?