Strange "clunking" In Rx300 While Driving

DustoffMedic

This may have already been addressed, and if so I apologize. My wife's '99 RX300 ( 133,000 miles ) has an annoying clunking/banging sound when being driven on any road that's not perfectly smooth. I checked underneath and can't find anything loose or hanging down. It seems to be coming from the front end; steering and braking are not affected, but the noise is driving us batty! A local shop says replacing the front bushings MAY solve the problem. Does anyone else have this problem, or know of a solution? Thanks.

Thanks for the help. I just spent slightly over $600 on new pads and rotors, so what's a couple hundred more? :) I'll call the shop and prepare my checkbook.

We had the same problem on a 99RX300. The rep. at Lexus was very very helpful. Among the fixes he tried was securing the tray far down under the windshield wipers (outside of cabin) and some other 'fixes'. None were perfect. It finally proved to be simply a need to tighten (very much) the nuts holding the top of the front struts under the hood. If the rubber dampers are in good condition, try, as a first attempt, to tighten the nut holding the top of the struts before changing the struts. Good luck!

Hey thanks, I'll try that! maybe some good old-fashioned torque will save me some ca$h. This car has been great ( so far ), wife loves the winter traction. I was a little leery of buying a car with high mileage but after doing a lot of routine stuff like changing the tranny fluid, coolant flush, etc. it seems to be fine except for that dratted clunking. I'll post here with results. Thanks to all.