Converting 06 Navigation To Latest Navigation

TheLonelyShepherd

Hi members of Lexus.

I am a newbie to Lexus, especially the GX470, I have tried to search in this forum regarding about my concern, but after I read those threads, I still could not be able to find the answer, they might be too complicated for a dumb head like me :(

Anyway, here is the problem: I have an 06 GX470, I haven't update the Navigation since I had the car (because I don't know how and I didn't really care).

Few days ago, my friend, who has a 09 GX470, was sitting in my car and laughing so hard and pointing out how ugly and *BLEEP*ty my 06 Navigation layout, which I have no clue what's the differences, until I checked out his Navigation and found it looks nicer.

Well, I asked him if he knows how to get my Navigation upgrade to the latest one, he told me to go to the dealer.

Well, I don't want to contact the dealer yet, because I figure out that they will say at least more than 500 bucks, while in the mean time under the market crisis, I want to spend my money wisely.

So, if I want to upgrade my 06 Navigation to the latest Navigation, do I have to upgrade the new hardware system as well as the new navigation DVD, or I just keep the old hardware system, and only purchase the new navigation DVD.

I heard that the new system has the digital instead of analog connection or something like that, I am not really sure.

So if I have to buy the whole new hardware + new DVD map, how much should it cost?

Thank you so so so much for your helps and supports.

That's a hardware thing, you have a Gen 4 and your friend has a Gen 5. I'm sure it's possible to change but it'd cost you a metric crap ton. Like Booyah said, it would probably be cheaper to just trade in your's on a newer one, 2007-2009 GXes have the Gen 5 system.