Can Abs Cause Brake Drag & Lockup?

ejmaurey

I have a '92 SC300 with 140K miles or so. Recently, the brakes have begun dragging. This started with wheels bouncing on the freeway. Now, a week later; the brakes start off fine but, after a short while - a few miles - drag enough to overcome the engine - the car won't move - until it sits for 10-15 minutes to cool off. Then the cycle repeats itself. I have replaced the brake fluid, cleaned the wheel cylinder and disks, and verified the proper fluid level; none of this helps.

So I pulled the ABS fusible link, and so far the brakes work normally and do not drag.

The tech said he verified 'overpressure in the front brake lines', and that the brake master cylinder and the ABS pump need replacing. I cannot find anywhere this has happened before, at least not thru internet searches. I thought ABS systems selectively release pressure, not increase pressure.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening? Does this diagnosis make sense to anyone? Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I had the same problem on my 96 sc400. and i took it to a local lexus certified mechanic and he told me it was the master cylinder. so i replaced it and havent had a problem since. FYI the master cylinder costs about $700.