Cv Boots

Found lots of info on this site to get me started, but:

First I need to go buy a socket. What size is the nut holding hub on? Looks like it might be 31 mm ?? Largest thing I have is 1 & 1/8". Nut is larger than that.

Second, I am planning on just replacing outer boots since I have more time than cash. Am I correct in assuming that I must pull entire assembly from tranny ( 6 allen cap screws ) and remove inner boot so I can get outer boot off? Unless I am missing something, it does not appear easy to get outer boot off otherwise.

I wanted split boots, but gave up trying to find them. Auto Zone, Advanced, etc....

• 2 weeks later...
Found lots of info on this site to get me started, but:

First I need to go buy a socket. What size is the nut holding hub on? Looks like it might be 31 mm ?? Largest thing I have is 1 & 1/8". Nut is larger than that.

Second, I am planning on just replacing outer boots since I have more time than cash. Am I correct in assuming that I must pull entire assembly from tranny ( 6 allen cap screws ) and remove inner boot so I can get outer boot off? Unless I am missing something, it does not appear easy to get outer boot off otherwise.

I wanted split boots, but gave up trying to find them. Auto Zone, Advanced, etc....

Turns out it is 30 mm, but did not matter since I could not get the allen screws loose from transmission. Gave up and had a shop change axle. Advanced Auto sells something called a quick boot ( two halfs ) that glued together quite well, but the "fitting" that adapts the small end of the boot to the axle is pure junk. Don't bother.