Dvd Navigation Issues

Hi, my 2006 GS 300 nav system started acting up yesterday. It worked fine going to work, but when I started the car yesterday afternoon I got a DVD read error on the screen mentioning the DVD may be scratched / dirty. I turned off the car and restarted it and it worked fine for about 5-10 minutes, but then it threw off another error stating it couldn't read the DVD and I should contact the dealer. I also showed an icon to eject the DVD. I did press the icon and now the screen tells me there is no DVD in the player at all.

I searched this forum and found that the navigation DVD is supposed to be in the glove box, but I've emptied everything out of the glove compartment and I don't see a visible DVD player. The interior is lined with soft black cushion material and I think I see what the DVD unit is, but I don't see a visible point of access.

I called my local mechanic and he said the DVD unit was in the trunk on the right hand side. I checked and I do see the Mark Levinson unit, but I can't see from a casual inspection where the DVD would be located. Do I have to unscrew the unit out in order to access the DVD?

Can anyone point me as to how to access the DVD and tell if the DVD is still in the unit? Please? Currently I see NO DVD ejected out of the unit.

I'd like to check the DVD to insure there is nothing wrong with the media itself and save myself a trip to the dealer.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.