Blowing Coils

My 99 ES 300 keeps blowing ignition coils. I have replace 3 in the last year, 2 of the same ones twice. Mechanic is baffled. Alternator is fine, new spark plugs and ground to the circuit appears OK. Has anyone else experienced this and if it was solved---how?????

My 99 ES 300 keeps blowing ignition coils. I have replace 3 in the last year, 2 of the same ones twice. Mechanic is baffled. Alternator is fine, new spark plugs and ground to the circuit appears OK. Has anyone else experienced this and if it was solved---how?????

are you getting the new coils from ?Toyota? Lexus? I have seen batches of defective parts more than once, especialy aftermarket

you could have another bad coil somewhere else. sometimes one coil shorts out temporary causing another to blow.

mixing aftermarket coils w/OEM is a no no.

i had one short coil 2 months ago and decided to replace the whole set. think of them as spark plugs, you don't replace only 1 plug. while i was removing the other coils, 2 coils had oil dripping out. the spark plug seals were bad.

new coils for $60/each from autozone.com. they are actually the OEM parts -- Denso.

you could have another bad coil somewhere else. sometimes one coil shorts out temporary causing another to blow.

mixing aftermarket coils w/OEM is a no no.

i had one short coil 2 months ago and decided to replace the whole set. think of them as spark plugs, you don't replace only 1 plug. while i was removing the other coils, 2 coils had oil dripping out. the spark plug seals were bad.

new coils for $60/each from autozone.com. they are actually the OEM parts -- Denso.

i agree, in the past i had one coil go bad in a ford truck and when i replaced the one coil and plug, the misfire was still there. after a lot of head scratching i replaced all of the coils and wow perfect... this actually happened on several fords i worked on; one coil would go bad and to fix it all the coils had to be replaced

• 8 months later...

I had 3 coils blown in the last year too (ES 2000 158K). It was on the same cylinder #4 (CEL P0304). Did you find out the real cause for your case?

I recently got P0441 and P0446 too.

Really appreciate any info on this. Thanks!