Rear Window Nuts Were Missing?

DaveinTX

When we bought this car a few weeks ago I noticed a strange noise coming from the back passenger side whenever it hit a bump (quite often). I thought maybe something in the convertable top mechanism was loose. With the top halfway open I checked everything I could get to, it was all clean, tight, and well lubed. Since it was only coming from passenger side and not drivers side I was sure I could find it by comparing sides until I found something loose on the passenger side. After several trys no luck. I finally had my wife go for a ride with me in the back seat, armed with flashlight and sharp ear, determined to find the source, and I did. It was coming from where the bracket on back window attaches to the window frame, it is on the side of the window toward the top.

Back in the garage, I opened top halfway and removed the panel that covers the bracket. The bracket attached to window has a screw that goes down through the frame, THERE WAS NO NUT! There where marks on the metal where a nut had been there at one time, looks like maybe one with star washer because thats what the marks looked like. I checked the other side and it didn't have a nut either. Basically the window was just setting in place, if I had pushed hard enough from the inside the window could have been pushed out! I was lucky enough to have a couple of nuts the correct size, I'm not even sure the size I had a few asst. metric nuts in a box and got lucky. At first I put a washer, lock washer, then the nut. Then I started getting worried that maybe since a window was attached I may have it too tight, so I put a thick rubber washer, flat washer, then tightened nuts just enough to see the rubber washer compress.

Well the noise is gone and the wife is happy but that really freaked me out. I have been trying to figure out what happened to those nuts. I am convinced they didn't fall off on their own, the entire convertable assy. was very tight and lexus builds a tight car. My best guess is that the rear window was replaced, and the installer did a bad job. I find it really hard to believe he left BOTH nuts off but maybe he just snugged them and forgot to go back and tighten, and after awhile they fell off. If the previous owner had the window replaced and it made strange noise right after you would think they would take it back and have it checked, so they must have come off some time later.

If anyone else has had any experience with the rear window please reply, or if you hear any strange noises coming from that area you may want to take a look at those brackets, or if you have any other good guesses. The panels don't even need to come all the way off to look, if you pull them away from window slightly you can shine a flashlight back there and see nuts (or no nuts), it easiest with the top half open. Later guys -Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update if anyone is interested. I spoke with the local lexus dealer and was pleased to find out (from last 8 dig. of vin #) that all the service on our car was performed at the dealer since new. I asked if the rear windshield had ever been replaced and he said that something was done to the rear window frame back in Nov. 05. He said it didn't list any parts so he didn't think it had been replaced but there was some kind of service done to it he just didn't have specifics.

So basically someone did mess with it a few years ago, I'd be willing to bet he forgot to tighten the nuts.