2000 Es300 Not Changing Into Last Gear

My wife and I were driving back from laughlin, NV about a 2 months ago when I jumped on the freeway the car did not go into Overdrive, it was RPM'ing kind of high. So we stopped ate and tried again and everything seemed perfect again. Now the car is doing it almost every day, if you drive under 50mph it seems fine but when you jump on freeway it doesn't kick into final gear and RPM's at about 4000 if going about 65mph. After maybe about 15minutes you will feel the Overdrive kick in, and then it drives normal. Any suggestions, I don't want to damage transmission or engine any further. We took it to the shop about a month ago they did a transmission flush which seemed to help but now it's doing it everyday. We're going to take into shop again but wanted to see if anyone had any pointers that I could try, don't want to end up paying for a new tranny if that's not the problem.

Forgot to add car has about 127,000 miles

personally I would add an additve (seafoam or other) for about 100 miles and then flush again. Did the problem show up after the flush? or before? is your mechanic using the correct type of fluid?(I would use toyota or AMSOIL)you might also consider changing the filter, Iv'e seen clogged trans coolers do weird stuff. have your mechanic check and or flush your cooler too, the simple method is to buy a can of cooler flush(commonly used when a transmission is replaced) and follow with a blaast of compressed air to remove the remainder of the flush..