93 Es300 Speedo Signal

Does anyone know what the signal is that feeds the speedometer stepper motor?

I used to own a 93 ES300, and during the process of trying to fix the LEDs in the gauge needles, I ended up with an extra instrument cluster.

I have a project I'm working on now where I'd like to replace a mechanical speedometer with electronic - I'm considering sourcing parts from my old ES300 cluster to make it happen. Unfortunately, I no longer have the car (especially considering I was never paid for the vehicle after it was sold - but that's another story :) ), so I can't hook up a scope and figure out the signal.

So.... I'm looking for any information on how to drive the stepper motor electronics that move the needle for either the tach or the speedo. I'll then probably build a custom micro-controller to "massage" the new vehicle's speed sensor signal to the format the ES's speedo motor/circuitry wants. Another option might be removing all the electronics attached to the stepper and controlling it directly...