One Time "burning" Smell Around Battery... ? Help!

90LS400Lexus

Well my, my. Turns out that its the valve cover gasket leaking causing it, which was my first thought the first time it happened. <_<

I started the car this evening and let it run for about 20 minutes... I had my dad out there with me to help me look for when it started smoking. All of a sudden, smoke started billowing out from the lower back of the engine around the valve cover for about 5 seconds, then it stopped. My dad looked and he said it was clearly oil leaking onto the hot part of the manifold, which is what was obviously giving it that quick and short-lived burst of smoke.

As mentioned, I didnt think it was electrical, because #1, Toyotas-Lexus generally have excellent electrical systems... (I guess thats why not too many people had any info on this) and two, it never smelled like hot electrical or wires to me. It smelled/smells like the odor you get like if you are behind a big diesel truck with your windows closed, but the smell comes in through the vents and your mode is on fresh air. Its strange though that out of all of the gen 1 LS400s that I am sure have or had valve cover gasket leaks, that no one else had ever experienced this before. I guess it was just the way its dripping on mine.

Well at least now I can stop worrying some, but I know this is not a easy repair on these cars. I am not sure how far back this is going to set me. I guess I will check with the Toyota mechanic I know and see how much he will charge to replace them. <_<

I guess it's safe to have a sub, then. ;)

Here's a valve cover tut: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/valvecover.html

I'm glad you found the problem.

lol about the sandwich comment. :P

About the link.... thanks... I think. ;)

WOW, what a job! Its not something I can do myself. :(

I guess that tech will make more money on my car. <_<:)

Thanks again!