Wheel Lock And Key

I just purchased 4 new Yokohoma Avid V4 for 99 GS400 and they ride great. Here is the question and/or problem. Prior to buying these tires I experienced a slow leak. I attempted to change the tire but the key striped and I had to drive on a low tire to the Lexus dealer, repair the tire and get a replacement key. While purchasing the tires yesterday the key stripped again and I am driving on 4 lugs until I get a replacement. Lexus wheel locks have a unique shank on the base and can only be replaced at the dealer. Has anyone experienced this problem before and should I just use a regular lugnut or go back to new locks. I don't want to get stranded with a busted key again.

I just purchased 4 new Yokohoma Avid V4 for 99 GS400 and they ride great. Here is the question and/or problem. Prior to buying these tires I experienced a slow leak. I attempted to change the tire but the key striped and I had to drive on a low tire to the Lexus dealer, repair the tire and get a replacement key. While purchasing the tires yesterday the key stripped again and I am driving on 4 lugs until I get a replacement. Lexus wheel locks have a unique shank on the base and can only be replaced at the dealer. Has anyone experienced this problem before and should I just use a regular lugnut or go back to new locks. I don't want to get stranded with a busted key again.

This is not a common problem and it is the first time I can remember seeing it on the GS forum. The previous owner must have been a gorilla and really wanked on those locking lugs. I would suggest you go to the dealer to get a new set. They are manufactured by McGuard, so you may be able to buy direct from them - not sure. Wheel locks will only stop "honest thieves" anyway, but having them on is certainly better than not having them on. When you put them on make sure to look up the proper torque and use a torque wrench to tighten not only them but the other lugs as well.