Backup Camera Is Not Working

allenlynx

Hi all,

I have 07 ES350 purchased lasy July in 2007 and have this issue 4 times so far. Usually it happened when I started the engine and put into the reverse gear, then the backup camera showed a black screen with distored image on screen. I tried to restart the engine several times and the problem was still there. After driving the car for a while, then the problem was gone. Have anyone had the same problem before?

I am going to bring my car for 15K service this Friday and will ask dealer to see if they know any of this problem.

Thanks.

Allen

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I have 07 ES350 purchased lasy July in 2007 and have this issue 4 times so far. Usually it happened when I started the engine and put into the reverse gear, then the backup camera showed a black screen with distored image on screen. I tried to restart the engine several times and the problem was still there. After driving the car for a while, then the problem was gone. Have anyone had the same problem before?

I am going to bring my car for 15K service this Friday and will ask dealer to see if they know any of this problem.

Thanks.

Allen

Some updates on my backup camera problem. I brought my car to dealer to fix this issue last month because I recorded it on my digital camera as the proof. They pulled out the log data from my car and sent them to Lexus. The dealer ordered a new navigation display screen and installed on my car later. I thought that was not the root cause by the screen. 3 weeks later, it happened again and I recorded it and post it to youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StnToT4oqI8) . I brought my car to dealer again and this time they replaced the backup camera. It was covered by warranty.

I have this ES350 since July 2007 and I have already dealer fixed the following things (all covered by Lexus warranty):

1. Driver side window noise caused by excessive clearance between left door and striker. $99

2. Adjust front wheel alignment. $327

3.Check Engine Light and VSC light were on and car was shaking on idle. Replaced oil control valve. $264

4. First try to fix backup camera. Replaced navigation display. Labor only $85

5. Backup break made noise. Replaced rear break pads. $145

6. Replaced backup camera. $928

I am very disappointed to my ES and I am planning to get rid of it before the warranty expires.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Allen

Some updates on my backup camera problem. I brought my car to dealer to fix this issue last month because I recorded it on my digital camera as the proof. They pulled out the log data from my car and sent them to Lexus. The dealer ordered a new navigation display screen and installed on my car later. I thought that was not the root cause by the screen. 3 weeks later, it happened again and I recorded it and post it to youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StnToT4oqI8) . I brought my car to dealer again and this time they replaced the backup camera. It was covered by warranty.

I have this ES350 since July 2007 and I have already dealer fixed the following things (all covered by Lexus warranty):

1. Driver side window noise caused by excessive clearance between left door and striker. $99

2. Adjust front wheel alignment. $327

3.Check Engine Light and VSC light were on and car was shaking on idle. Replaced oil control valve. $264

4. First try to fix backup camera. Replaced navigation display. Labor only $85

5. Backup break made noise. Replaced rear break pads. $145

6. Replaced backup camera. $928

I am very disappointed to my ES and I am planning to get rid of it before the warranty expires.

Your problems are exactly why I usually never buy a first year of a new design model.

I bought a '07 Camry XLE and it had issues.I was actually happy when a deer hit caused me to get rid of it.

Toyota's have first year problems too.

• 1 year later...

I just had the backup camera replaced. I had the exact same problem every now and then, and I wanted to get it fixed before the warranty gets expired.

Even though I didn't have to pay for anything, the bill for the service was $915. If the warranty gets expired, I will have to live without the backup camera or be screwed with their high price tagged service charge.

By the way, I don't really know if the root cause is with the backup camera assembly though. If the problem comes back, I have to go back to Lexus and bug them to do something else.