Weird Gauge Behavior/odometer Issues

I recently purchased a well-used, but well-cared for 1992 ES300. I noticed (when trying to check my gas mileage), that the trip odometers seem to reset every time I power the vehicle off. Also, the tachometer intermittantly works (the needle is completely dark, so I wasn't sure if they were related), and when it does, it rarely goes past 2500 or 3000 RPMS.

Bad gauge cluster, or is there another issue that could be causing it? Is the memory for the trip odometers powered by a random fuse I'm missing?

Thanks,

Chris

The best bet would be getting a used gauge cluster and replacing it to see if that cures the problem. A used cluster is pretty cheap, but 90% of the time you'll find one with burnt out gauge needles. Lexucan has posted an excellent fix to the problem.

I'm not sure on this, but I'm thinking there is an internal battery back up for the odometer, internal within the gauge assembly (otherwise, if there wasn't, you'd lose your odometer reading each time you pulled a main car battery terminal, plus the odometer reading stays when you remove the gauge, so the 'memory' power must be on-board the gauge cluster). It probably takes the vehicle power to illuminate and display the odometer reading, so that's why it comes on, but is reset each time you turn the vehicle off. I have a feeling getting a replacement gauge cluster should remedy your problems. I don't know exactly what years are interchangeable, but I think '93-'96 are interchangeable (not sure though). Here's a link to a possible candidate: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=360059426703

The best bet would be getting a used gauge cluster and replacing it to see if that cures the problem. A used cluster is pretty cheap, but 90% of the time you'll find one with burnt out gauge needles. Lexucan has posted an excellent fix to the problem.

I'm not sure on this, but I'm thinking there is an internal battery back up for the odometer, internal within the gauge assembly (otherwise, if there wasn't, you'd lose your odometer reading each time you pulled a main car battery terminal, plus the odometer reading stays when you remove the gauge, so the 'memory' power must be on-board the gauge cluster). It probably takes the vehicle power to illuminate and display the odometer reading, so that's why it comes on, but is reset each time you turn the vehicle off. I have a feeling getting a replacement gauge cluster should remedy your problems. I don't know exactly what years are interchangeable, but I think '93-'96 are interchangeable (not sure though). Here's a link to a possible candidate: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=360059426703

Turns out the DOME fuse keeps blowing for some reason (and, electric locks, along with keyless entry) does not work. I wonder if they're possibly related.

Unfortunately, yeah... tracking down strange electrical shorts is like trying to find a needle in a haystack... you know it's in there somewhere, but where. You're best bet might be to find a talented shop that specilizes in automotive electrical systems. I hope you are able to readily find the culprit. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately, yeah... tracking down strange electrical shorts is like trying to find a needle in a haystack... you know it's in there somewhere, but where. You're best bet might be to find a talented shop that specilizes in automotive electrical systems. I hope you are able to readily find the culprit. Good luck.

I just struggled through the same problem. Mine is a '95 ES300. Dome fuse was dead short. Trip odometer would reset every time I restarted the car. No remote power door locks, no interior lights. Turns out it was the lighted vanity mirror in the driver's sun visor. A short somewhere in there. I unscrewed the visor and undid the connector. Fuse would now stay on. Trip Odo doesn't automatically reset.

I guess I have to rewire the visor.

Troubleshooting was hard. I disconnected every major connector and the short wouldn't go away. Not until I undid the visor wire at the roof.

Another thread in this forum put me on the right track.