Rolling Backward In Drive On A Steep Hill

I love our 400h FWD. We've had it since May and its been great.

However, I've noticed that after stopped at a red light on a hill, once I let go of the brake the car

will start to roll backwards. I also noted while parallel parking on a hill, that the car started to roll forward while

in reverse. I almost hit the car in front of me!

I've never experienced this in an auto tranny before.

Is this normal for this car? The dealer says yes and acts like its no big deal.

I find it quite disconcerting.

I love our 400h FWD. We've had it since May and its been great.

However, I've noticed that after stopped at a red light on a hill, once I let go of the brake the car

will start to roll backwards. I also noted while parallel parking on a hill, that the car started to roll forward while

in reverse. I almost hit the car in front of me!

I've never experienced this in an auto tranny before.

Is this normal for this car? The dealer says yes and acts like its no big deal.

I find it quite disconcerting.

Because there is no transmission as such - Instead a sun planet gear system, the two motor generators and ICE are physically directly connected to the wheels. In an attempt to emulate a torque converter, the rolling forward or backward is really software. I too have noticed this in both my 400H and Prius and several hills around here I use my left foot on the brake pedal. Now that you have mentioned it, what I'm planning to do is find a hill and see how far back the 400H and Prius will roll backwards - I don't know if they will respond like a Torque Converter and only roll back so far before "biting".