1998 Ls400

tcbted

Hello, all.

I really enjoy this forum ... I've viewed it daily for years, but as a non Lexus owner, I've never posted.

I'm thinking of trading from my 01 STS to this LS400.

There are very few 98 and newer LS's for sale up here in Ontario, and they're usually very expensive from the

dealers, yet are too old for the CPO program.

I've owned 4 STS's in the past few years, and never had a single major component fail.

Having said that, the little rattles and build quality are starting to get to me, and I suspect an LS400

with high klm might surprise me. I've yearned for one for years, and this one has caught my eye.

I spoke with the dealer today, and I may drive down next week to check it out ... 2 hr drive.

I know to check for service records, and a Lexus inspection would pay off dividends.

Any thoughts from the experts on this car?

view_a.jpg

view_b.jpg

view_c.jpg

view_d.jpg

The car has 137000 miles, and they want 12k.

They specialize in STS's, so I would consider a straight trade on my 01 with 83k.

I appreciate any comments.

I am no 'expert' but I do own a 98. If you have been yearning for a Lex, then

by all means, go look at it. Do your homework, make a checklist and ask lots of

questions. I would have the dealer put her up on the lift and check for rust, leaks and

damage. If it all checks out, I would not hesitate to buy or trade...but dont expect to get get much

for your STS(straight trade? if the dealer thinks he has the upper hand, forget it). Its just a dealers

job to get as much out of the deal as possible. To even the playing field,

you might consider unloading the Caddy yourself.

Also keep in mind that if the dealer is asking $11k USD, he gave MUCH less for the car. I would

guess maybe $8k (or less?) .I have heard bragging stories from these dealers about how little they gave for

a trade-in. So, my advice.....check the Lex out thoroughly but do not fall in love with it or at least, dont

let the dealer know that. Be ready to walk if the deal is not to your liking. Bet you dont make it off the lot w/o the

Lex (ie: play hardball !)

I gave $14k USD for a 98 LS400 with 62k miles. With 137k miles, I am thinking ~$9k USD(or $10k CDN).

Thanks for the tips.

I've tallied up about 45 car purchases over the years, and on a couple of occasions, I've been

successful in getting a dealer to go even based upon wholesale values and how stale his inventory

piece is.

Its all a question of timing, and which car he thinks is more marketable on his lot at that given

point in time.