New Tires Put On Today

GKLCPA

I had belt unravel on a tire last week and while getting them changed, noticed the the previous owner (or the dealer where I bought the car) has tires with an S speed rating on the car. I could have killed myself driving on these tires.

It just never occurred to me to inspect the tires to ensure that tires with the correct speed rating were on the car. This is a lesson that I won't forget.

Exactly what do you think the speed rating has to do with the belt separating? Belts that separate are the result of improper construction or under or over inflation, or road damage. The S rating is good for 112 mph continuous speeds. Do you drive faster than that for hours at a time?

I'd drive a Michelin S rated tire faster than some offshore Charging Rhino brand skin made in a third world country regardless of its Z speed rating.

You should inspect your tires regularly - but for wear patterns, damage (especially sidewalls) and of course pressure.