Nightmare Pcv Removal On 1995 Es300

So, in doing some routine maintenance on our ES, I decided it was a good time to change out the PCV and it's grommet (since I didn't know how long it had been since it was changed last). What a nightmare. As you can see, the PCV broke in half with a slight prod, and then the base just crumbled as I started to try and work the piece out. It was brittle like ceramic.... pretty sure it was heat stress that ended up cooking it.

If anyone runs into this, the way to get it out is to take out the guts (the spring and plunger), and then use a very simple wine bottle corkscrew... feed the corkscrew down into the bottom valve hole, then oh-so-gently pry up. Mine finally came out... but it wasn't pretty. The grommet was old and cracked, too, so it broke into several pieces. What a nightmare, for if any of those pieces fall into the engine, you need to pull the valve cover to get them out.... the rear valve cover.

So, word to the wise... be careful in changing out that PCV.

post-34901-1185406034_thumb.jpg