Newb Question

Hi all,

I really dont know anything about my 94 es300 other than its not in great shape, it has 135k miles on it, and it gets horrible gas mileage. I'm talking 18mpg or so on mostly highway driving. Any clues on how to get this number back up to a respectable range (change some filters, tune up?)? What do most of you get?

Just a side note, I bought this car off of my parents. I drive a '99 BMW M Coupe for fun and have this es300 car to rack commuting miles up on and to drive in the winter weather. I'd like it to get a bit better mileage considering my coupe gets 22-24 with me driving like an idiot.

Any info is appreciated

thanks,

Scott

I have a 94 ES which has about the same mileage on it as yours.

Several months ago, I drove from Birmingham to Las Cruces, NM and back. My MPG during the trip averaged 27-30. Around town, it is more like 21-23.

You obviously have some problems with your car.

Tune up and probably Sea Foam the engine to clean it. Remove some of that carbon built up to improve the mileage.

Do you know what is generally involved in a tune up? I'm somewhat of a do-it-yourself-er and I have a family friend who is a mechanic who gives me access to his garage and some help when I need it. I'd rather do this junk myself since its far cheaper.

What is Sea Foam? I've never heard of it/that term. Is that a fuel additive or something?