Is There An Ignition Lock Out Anti-theft Feature?

blk_on_blk

So the other night I go to move the RX into the garage and accidentally grab my wife's ES300 keys. I slip the key in the ignition and it won't turn, and I realized I had the wrong key set as soon as I pulled it out. So, I grab the RX key and put it in, but now it won't turn. The ignition is locked out. I fiddle with it a bit, and then my wife comes and to see why I'm taking so long... and she wants to try it. After a few moments she gets it loose and gives me that "it takes a woman's touch" look. :rolleyes: Okay, so maybe she had the touch, or maybe there is some strange time delay lock out if you put in the wrong key (like a theft deterent). Is there such a thing on the 1999 RX300? Or did the different key just make my lock stick a bit?

By the way, the keys for these things suck... what a poor design. I just had a new key in a new housing cut for me today, and the locksmith told me, "Yeah, they figure if you can afford the car, you can afford a new key ever now and again." Oh, that's nice thinking... thanks Lexus. <_<

So the other night I go to move the RX into the garage and accidentally grab my wife's ES300 keys. I slip the key in the ignition and it won't turn, and I realized I had the wrong key set as soon as I pulled it out. So, I grab the RX key and put it in, but now it won't turn. The ignition is locked out. I fiddle with it a bit, and then my wife comes and to see why I'm taking so long... and she wants to try it. After a few moments she gets it loose and gives me that "it takes a woman's touch" look. :rolleyes: Okay, so maybe she had the touch, or maybe there is some strange time delay lock out if you put in the wrong key (like a theft deterent). Is there such a thing on the 1999 RX300? Or did the different key just make my lock stick a bit?

By the way, the keys for these things suck... what a poor design. I just had a new key in a new housing cut for me today, and the locksmith told me, "Yeah, they figure if you can afford the car, you can afford a new key ever now and again." Oh, that's nice thinking... thanks Lexus. <_<

You were very lucky that your wife got it to work. This is a common problem with the 99RX after someone inserts the wrong key. Others have spent big bucks at the Lexus dealer to have ignition lock cylinders replaced after inserting the wrong key. Do a search here and over at CL on "wrong key" to see the experiences of others. And to answer your question there is no delay lock after inserting the wrong key. The wrong key moves a lock cylinder wafer into a position where it sticks or sometimes bends the wafer so the correct key will no longer work. Sometimes you are lucky and get it back. Other times the cylinder needs replacement.

Also don't know how much you spent for a key, but over at CL someone just posted a link for a new RXkey cut to your VIN complete with shipping for $69.

Thanks for the info, Mikey... I'll have to thank my wife! I did try doing a search on 'wrong key', but aparently there is a mandate on this search engine that every word used has to be longer than 4 letters... and 'key' causes it to return an error. Nice, who set that up??? Anyhow, I feel quite lucky now that it all came together okay... no harm, no foul... for now.

Thanks also for the heads up on the key... I got the new body/housing from eBay for $18 delivered, and a local locksmith, Precision Lock and Key in Beaverton, did a fantastic job cutting it for $30. So, total damage was only $48. It was a little cheaper, but always good to know there is another seller if needed. Thanks again.

Hey, is there any preventative measures one can do for the ignition to keep it from sticking? A little graphite powder in there? Some penetrating oil? Other?

Thanks for the info, Mikey... I'll have to thank my wife! I did try doing a search on 'wrong key', but aparently there is a mandate on this search engine that every word used has to be longer than 4 letters... and 'key' causes it to return an error. Nice, who set that up??? Anyhow, I feel quite lucky now that it all came together okay... no harm, no foul... for now.

Thanks also for the heads up on the key... I got the new body/housing from eBay for $18 delivered, and a local locksmith, Precision Lock and Key in Beaverton, did a fantastic job cutting it for $30. So, total damage was only $48. It was a little cheaper, but always good to know there is another seller if needed. Thanks again.

Hey, is there any preventative measures one can do for the ignition to keep it from sticking? A little graphite powder in there? Some penetrating oil? Other?

Sorry about the search problem. I guess I should have tried it before suggesting it. Anyway, here is a link to a lengthy discussion about the wrong key problem with some lubricant suggestions near the end.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...light=wrong+key

• 5 months later...

Unlike your wife, I can't seem to get the ignition to turn over. So we'll have to call a locksmith. Lucky You!

This worked for me!!! Closed all the doors. Slowly clicked on the remote: Unlock, unlock, unlock. Waited a bit. Once again slowly clicked on the remote: Unlock, unlock, unlock. Waited a bit. Once again slowly clicked on the remote: Unlock, unlock , unlock. Put the key in the ignition. Did not, at the same time, press on the accelerator. The engine turned over! Pressing the unlock button was the advice of the service department at the Lexus in Centerville, Ohio.