When Lexol Just Won't Do.

It's been bugging me. There are no rips or tears on my seats (besides a couple of very minor scratches and usual edge folds), but the seats are nowhere near as soft as my front leather seats. I tried using Lexol for about a year now, but my seats have not softened up at all. What kind of products have users in this forum used to make their seats supple again, or am I out of luck (i.e. have to get then professionally done). If I have to take them somewhere else, how much would that cost?

I'm so close to fully revitalizing my ES, just have the needles and sound system to go!

It's been bugging me. There are no rips or tears on my seats (besides a couple of very minor scratches and usual edge folds), but the seats are nowhere near as soft as my front leather seats. I tried using Lexol for about a year now, but my seats have not softened up at all. What kind of products have users in this forum used to make their seats supple again, or am I out of luck (i.e. have to get then professionally done). If I have to take them somewhere else, how much would that cost?

I'm so close to fully revitalizing my ES, just have the needles and sound system to go!

I have the opposite problem. My back seats are softer than my front seats. I read on another forum that Leatherique

(www.leatherique.com) was the way to go to make old, hard leather soft and supple again. So, I bought a bottle of the Leatherique "Rejuvenator Oil" and also the "Prestine Clean" leather cleaner. Used them four times, following the instructions to the letter. It made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to the feel of the leather. It still has a cardboard feel to it and is just as hard as it was before I started the treatments. Maybe my front seats are just too far gone for anything to work, but according to what I read on the Leatherique website, the old, hard leather on my seats is just what their products were designed to restore. And failing them being able to completely restore the leather, I was hoping I might at least see or feel a small improvement but unfortunately, the only difference was that after the treatments my seats had, for days, the unpleasant smell of the Leatherique products, which is something akin to rancid cooking oil!! sniff.gif

So, I'm sorry I can't recommend a product for you as I am still searching for the same thing myself!

I have the opposite problem. My back seats are softer than my front seats. I read on another forum that Leatherique

(www.leatherique.com) was the way to go to make old, hard leather soft and supple again. So, I bought a bottle of the Leatherique "Rejuvenator Oil" and also the "Prestine Clean" leather cleaner. Used them four times, following the instructions to the letter. It made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to the feel of the leather. It still has a cardboard feel to it and is just as hard as it was before I started the treatments. Maybe my front seats are just too far gone for anything to work, but according to what I read on the Leatherique website, the old, hard leather on my seats is just what their products were designed to restore. And failing them being able to completely restore the leather, I was hoping I might at least see or feel a small improvement but unfortunately, the only difference was that after the treatments my seats had, for days, the unpleasant smell of the Leatherique products, which is something akin to rancid cooking oil!! sniff.gif

So, I'm sorry I can't recommend a product for you as I am still searching for the same thing myself!

I totally had a feeling that those Leatherique products wouldnt work! This is so discouraging. Lexol was supposed to make them softer, but it just made the seats more shiny. Some have told me about sanding my seats and then repainting them for a softer finish, but that seems like overkill for good-looking seats.

I believe the problem is that the seats are coated so conditioning products don't work due to the inability of the leather to soak up the product.

I think that may be true of the newer GS models and perhaps some others, but I don't think the ES has a clear coat on the leather, at least not the older generations.

However, there could be a coating of several layers of old conditioner/s or other leather products on the seats which are preventing the absorption of the Leatherique or other leather revitalizing products. I went to the Leatherique website again and had a look at their FAQ section. This is what I found:

Why isn't the Rejuvenator Oil Absorbing?

Because Leather is a fibrous substance, it is its nature to greedily drink in the beneficial nutrients of the Rejuvenator Oil. The biggest obstacle to good absorption is a silicone sealer on the leather, or a heavy wax or petroleum distillate build up caused by previously used products. If your leather is not absorbing the Rejuvenator Oil it is because the pores of the leather are blocked. We suggest a thorough cleaning of the surface with prepping agent, or very light “buffing” of the surface with 400 grit wet or dry sand paper, used wet with prepping agent. This will break down the surface glaze and allow the Rejuvenator to penetrate fully.

Alex930:

So perhaps both Ray92es and whomever suggested you sand and redye your seats are right...to a degree.

Maybe a treatment with Leatherique's prepping agent first would clean the leather enough so that it can absorb the revitalizing oils it needs to become soft again.

That may have been the problem I had with the Leatherique - it just couldn't get through 14 years worth of old conditioners, cleaners, dirt, and whatever else is on the leather.

So, are you going to be the guinea pig and buy some Leatherique prepping agent to see if it works at cleaning your leather? And then of course, you'll also need to buy some Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean and do the whole treatment. LOL

I would be very hesitant about using any sandpaper on the leather as it might be apt to remove the dye as well as the dirt! Hopefully just the prepping agent by itself would be enough to work.

I also read somewhere that a solution of Woolite and water (one part Woolite to six parts water) works well to clean leather.

So, what do you think?