Puzzled By Problems

jrints

I am somewhat new to the forum, but I appreciate it tremendously. I have a 1990 Lexus LS 400 and recently have been having some problems. It started with a very noticeable coolant leak. The leak seems to be coming from the water pump. I drove the car to work and I began to have some more problems. After the car began to warm up the radio began to go in and out. The low coolant light, engine oil low light, brake light, and battery light all came on while I was cruising at about 45-55 mph. When I would accelerate quickly these lights would go off, then as I came to cruising speed they would again illuminate. Tonight on my way home the same thing happened and this time the electrical system was not charging. The dashboard lights began to blink, all warning lights illuminated, and the car started to sputter. Fortunately I was able to coast into my mechanics driveway as the car died, it is on my way home.

I don't know why this is happening? Are the coolant leak and other symptoms somehow connected or totally coincidence? Another note, the power steering leaks considerably and we ran it for quite a while without fluid.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I am somewhat new to the forum, but I appreciate it tremendously. I have a 1990 Lexus LS 400 and recently have been having some problems. It started with a very noticeable coolant leak. The leak seems to be coming from the water pump. I drove the car to work and I began to have some more problems. After the car began to warm up the radio began to go in and out. The low coolant light, engine oil low light, brake light, and battery light all came on while I was cruising at about 45-55 mph. When I would accelerate quickly these lights would go off, then as I came to cruising speed they would again illuminate. Tonight on my way home the same thing happened and this time the electrical system was not charging. The dashboard lights began to blink, all warning lights illuminated, and the car started to sputter. Fortunately I was able to coast into my mechanics driveway as the car died, it is on my way home.

I don't know why this is happening? Are the coolant leak and other symptoms somehow connected or totally coincidence? Another note, the power steering leaks considerably and we ran it for quite a while without fluid.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Your power steering leak is likely from your pump. I can tell you exactly why your alternator is bad, and the coolant leak is not related ot either of these incedents.

when your Power steering pump began leaking, it sits above the alternator, and the flid drips down onto the alternator over time, effectively !Removed! it up...ad causing your car to not run.

as for your coolant leak, you will need to get that fixed, running your car dry (no coolant) is a good way to royally screw yourself out of $4,000 (at the very least $2,000 for new heads and headgaskets).

After you replace the alternator, check the battery it is probably toasted by the bad alternator using it too much. It happened to me, my truck had a bad alternator, when they replaced it, since it was using up the battery, the battery went dead also.

C. PR

Any suggestions? Thanks!