Charging Problems Batt Or Other

oldkystude

I STARTED MY 91 LS 400 ALL WARNING LIGHTS WERE ON . CAR DROVE FINE NEXT DAY CAR STARTED ALL WARNING LIGHTS CAME ON AND WENT OFF. PARKED FOR 15MINS THEN CAR WOULD NOT START. 8HRS LATER IT STARTED. THEN ALL WENT DIM THEN DIED. ALTERNATER OR SOME OTHER PROBLEM

I STARTED MY 91 LS 400 ALL WARNING LIGHTS WERE ON . CAR DROVE FINE NEXT DAY CAR STARTED ALL WARNING LIGHTS CAME ON AND WENT OFF. PARKED FOR 15MINS THEN CAR WOULD NOT START. 8HRS LATER IT STARTED. THEN ALL WENT DIM THEN DIED. ALTERNATER OR SOME OTHER PROBLEM

I am currently working on a problem that started like yours. SO FAR, the Alternator was good but replaced since I had it off anyway and added the power steering pump force field to the new alternator. :ph34r:

Put it back together and it died a few days later going to work. Called local indy and had it towed to their shop and after about 6 hours they called stating the water pump was bad and they did not want to get into the tear down/rebuild. I asked them to tow it to the house since I do most of my own work anyway and they did.

The adventure begins......

I replaced just about every part I caould see on the way in just so I would not have to do this again in the near future. Get to putting it all back together and reach the "fan pulley" this thing was froze solid. This caused the belt to snap, I did not know this part since the indy had the belt and the radiator shroud off and in the trunk. After looking at the belt it was completely smooth on both sides from spinning on the frozen/partially frozen fan pully. This in turn would not let the alternator charge as it was supposed to and also explained the added effort to steer the car.

IT is all back together now but I have a bad miss when i put it in drive but that is for another post after a little research. :censored:

Take a look at that fan pulley...you know jsut check them all. Take the serpentine belt off and the fan, idler, and tensioner pully should spin easily.

Hope it helps

Usually the false warning lights are an indication that the alternator is about to go. If you can get it running, take it to Autozone (or similar) and have them test the battery and alternator. I've replace two alternators on mine over the years and both times i had false warning lights prior to the alternator dying.

Usually the false warning lights are an indication that the alternator is about to go. If you can get it running, take it to Autozone (or similar) and have them test the battery and alternator. I've replace two alternators on mine over the years and both times i had false warning lights prior to the alternator dying.

Larryp, and Bgarv3: Thanks a million. It is in the shop now and will check both suggestions. :)

• 3 weeks later...