Climate Control Problem

opo

Hello Everyone:

Caveat: Searched archives and could not find anything similar.

My 1992 SC300 w/160K has deveoped a climate control problem. After warm up and typically on a winter morning I get cold air until I increase the fan speed and switch from fresh intake to recirculate and rapidly turn the temp. knob from cold to hot sometimes several times. I then hear a distinctive clunk behind what seems like the center vents and... I have heat.

On the other hand in the summer, I might start with nice cold A/C in the morning, then sometimes as I pull away from a stop I hear the 'clunk' again and my A/C is not as cold. I took the glove box out and the fresh air intake/recirculate flapper seems to be operating correctly.

temp sensor?

Any help is appreciated....

Thanks in advance.

teo

Hello Everyone:

Caveat: Searched archives and could not find anything similar.

My 1992 SC300 w/160K has deveoped a climate control problem. After warm up and typically on a winter morning I get cold air until I increase the fan speed and switch from fresh intake to recirculate and rapidly turn the temp. knob from cold to hot sometimes several times. I then hear a distinctive clunk behind what seems like the center vents and... I have heat.

On the other hand in the summer, I might start with nice cold A/C in the morning, then sometimes as I pull away from a stop I hear the 'clunk' again and my A/C is not as cold. I took the glove box out and the fresh air intake/recirculate flapper seems to be operating correctly.

temp sensor?

Any help is appreciated....

Thanks in advance.

teo

Sounds to me like the LEVER that operates the small door that opens and closes as you go up or down on your temp has come loose. I think there is a small motor that operates this LEVER in the air duct system. Hope this helps.

AFR:

Thank you very much for the quick response!!

Sounds to me like the LEVER that operates the small door that opens and closes as you go up or down on your temp has come loose. I think there is a small motor that operates this LEVER in the air duct system. Hope this helps.