Rough Shift And Metallic Scraping Sound. . .just Out Of Transmission S

Micah

Hi, I took my car to a transmission shop a few weeks ago, and ever since I've been noticing a metallic sounding sraping sound. sounds like a hollow metal pipe that's scraping against something. It also rattles a little bit sometimes. Transmission doesn't seem to be slipping, and the sound is worst in the morning (or when the transmission is cold). I just got the transmission mount replaced when it was in the shop (to fix some rattling and engine vibrations) and they changed the fluid (and filter again. . .I had just replaced it a little while back, but they wanted to look in the pan to check everything out). They found nothing wrong when they had it. What could cause this scraping sound? It sounds like it comes from directly below the shifter. I was thinking the drive shaft support bearing as I've read somewhere on here about that.

2nd prob, When it's in reverse I can hear a faint clunking sound coming from the rear of the car and the frequency varies based on the speed I'm going in reverse. Just thought I'd throw this one out there too.

As far as your clunking sound: check the suspension (ball joints) also it could be the brake pads shifting if the "fitting kit" is worn and allows the pads to shift. I have a sound just like that coming from the rear. I installed a new fitting kit for the rear brakes and the noise still exists. Either a bushing is probably worn or a ball joint is the culprit.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll check into the ball joints. The suspension shop did say that my ball joint boots were busted but the joints themselves were tight. Maybe this is the culprit. Do I have to replace the entire lower arm to replace the ball joints (on the front)?