Tire Replacement

Well, we are at the point of getting new tires now so I'm searching. I've contacted the dealer to tell them I don't want the extreme summer sport tire and to find an all-season tire that will do 30k miles. He will get back with me this Monday, 2 October.

I know that the dealer is a pricey option for me so I'm considering a tire and wheel package from the Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct suspecting I could go this route for just about the same cost. The problem with this route is I won't have the TPM valve stem. So that really isn't an option.

Which now leads me back to replacement tires. If I use a 245/45-17 tire on the stock wheel will they fit? Using this size, the diameter is within .2 inches of the stock size and I would have more of a selection of tire availability.

Does anyone else have experience with other than stock tire size on the original wheels? If so, please post.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Just put on a set of Cooper Zeon A/S 225/50-17 tires today. Price is a lot better and the tire looks fine although it apprears to be a bit wider across the tread. It has a tread wear of 400 where the stock Dunlop has a 360. So far driving seems to be oK with no issues.

• 3 months later...

Update:

Just put on a set of Cooper Zeon A/S 225/50-17 tires today. Price is a lot better and the tire looks fine although it apprears to be a bit wider across the tread. It has a tread wear of 400 where the stock Dunlop has a 360. So far driving seems to be oK with no issues.

Could you post your new tire experience for reference?

• 3 weeks later...

Sure no problem. We now have 2k miles on the tires without any complaints. They look good and are quiet - maybe even more than the OEM tires. The Cooper dealer in this area is a two pump gas station with a greasy garage. So, I removed the wheels and center caps and gave them only the wheels to change the tires over. The balance was an issue since they didn't have the correct wheel weights but had the low profile, ultra sticky weights the next day. All was good and the tires are working well.

Would I consider Cooper tires again. Absolutely at this point. Currently we are slowing getting around to selling the car and won't really get to see the mileage from the tires though I expect it to be way better than the 13k we got out of the OEM tires.