First Daytrip In 94 Ls400

Gunnut

I drove to Pratt KS yesterday from KC for work.

I just bought my 94 this past Saturday so this was my first daytrip in the car.

I filled up in Wichita on the way back. The car averaged 25 mpg on the inagural tank. This was with 89 octane fuel. I filled up with 91 octane and will fill up on the way to work today so I can compare performance.

The only rub was when I got back into the car in the afternoon and the AC fan kicked into high speed, it made more noise than I expected. It sounded like the fan was off balance a bit, and made a loud off-balance humming sound.

One of the things I'm going to check is the cabin air filters to see what kind of shape they are in. I will say that the AC was set for outside air and I never even got so much as a wiff of the oilfields/refinery in Eldorado KS. That alone is impressive if you've ever driven by a oilfield/refinery.

JimA

I drove to Pratt KS yesterday from KC for work.

I just bought my 94 this past Saturday so this was my first daytrip in the car.

I filled up in Wichita on the way back. The car averaged 25 mpg on the inagural tank. This was with 89 octane fuel. I filled up with 91 octane and will fill up on the way to work today so I can compare performance.

The only rub was when I got back into the car in the afternoon and the AC fan kicked into high speed, it made more noise than I expected. It sounded like the fan was off balance a bit, and made a loud off-balance humming sound.

One of the things I'm going to check is the cabin air filters to see what kind of shape they are in. I will say that the AC was set for outside air and I never even got so much as a wiff of the oilfields/refinery in Eldorado KS. That alone is impressive if you've ever driven by a oilfield/refinery.

JimA

That's the first of many trips you'll be enjoying in your car! I drove from the Central Coast here in Cali to Seattle last year, and my overall trip average was 26.4 mpg, most of the time spent on the Interstate between 80 and 100 mph where I could get away with it. I started a thread on my car's gas mileage. Check it out if you haven't already: LS400 gas mileage-have I got a freak on my hands?

Three weeks ago I finished my tune-up and I'm still going on the tank I filled right afterward. I figure the daily grind average is 26-28mpg, the way it used to be. If I keep it to 65 mph or a little less on a long run, I'll bet I'll clear 30 mpg. My record average was 32.

About your A/C fan, is it the internal blower for the interior, or the ones on the condenser ahead of the radiator? Either way I'd check the fan blades if you can. The cabin filters on my car were completely plugged to the point where the blower punched a hole in the filter trying to move the air, but they are and always were quiet, unless I set the A/C to Max, but then it's mainly wind noise. I took my cabin filters out and cleaned them and repaired the hole. They're expensive!

About your A/C fan, is it the internal blower for the interior, or the ones on the condenser ahead of the radiator? Either way I'd check the fan blades if you can. The cabin filters on my car were completely plugged to the point where the blower punched a hole in the filter trying to move the air, but they are and always were quiet, unless I set the A/C to Max, but then it's mainly wind noise. I took my cabin filters out and cleaned them and repaired the hole. They're expensive!

Yes it does seem to be the interior motor. If I get a chance tomorrow I'm going to remove the cabin air filters to see what kind of shape they are in.

On another note, the previous owner was a smoker. What should I use to remove the odors?

I don't want to cover it up with another odor, just want to remove it.

JimA

On another note, the previous owner was a smoker. What should I use to remove the odors?

JimA

Okay, second try at this!

Go to a janitorial supply or a place that rents carpet shampooers. Either one will have an effective odor eliminator. It'll be a concentrate, so follow the dilution giudelines. Also, clean the interior with Simple Green. Remember to dilute! I de-skunked my dog with Simple Green, almost straight from the bottle, last time she did battle with one.

The entire interior will have to be cleaned & de-tarred. Cigarette "munge" gets everywhere. Carpet, headliner, everything. Probably take a few attempts, so be patient!

Yes it does seem to be the interior motor. If I get a chance tomorrow I'm going to remove the cabin air filters to see what kind of shape they are in.

JimA

On a side note, where are/is the cabin air filter on my '93?

As to the odors, try a small amount of Eucalyptus oil on the air filter itself, or on a cotton ball placed in a shallow container placed discretely somewhere in the car. It worked in my house.

On a side note, where are/is the cabin air filter on my '93?

The cabin air filters live just above the passengers side cover below the glove compartment. The LexLS

tutorial covers this if I recall. Putting the new ones in is a P.I.A., but well worth the effort.