How To Get To Coolant Drain Cocks

rtd111

94 SC400

The right and left coolant drain !Removed! are quite difficult to get to. Even when removing the tires, and using a universal joint, these are hard to access and loosen. Is there some trick to making the flush job easier?

To flush, I have to fill-drain-repeat about 3-4 times and putting car on - off jack stands, on-off tires; etc is getting to be quite painful. (I have to get it off the jack to drive out of the garage to run the engine until the coolant heats up to circulate it thru the system, and can't quite do the job in the driveway.)

Thanx in advance.

If the system already has 50% Toyota red Long Life Antifreeze and 50% distilled water then there is no need to remove the engine block drain plugs or to flush the system. Instead, all you need to do is drain and refill the radiator every year or two with the 50/50 mix. A partial coolant change like this will keep the cooling system clean and troublefree for decades because the 50/50 mix is 100% effective at preventing corrosion and deposits.

If the system already has 50% Toyota red Long Life Antifreeze and 50% distilled water then there is no need to remove the engine block drain plugs or to flush the system. Instead, all you need to do is drain and refill the radiator every year or two with the 50/50 mix. A partial coolant change like this will keep the cooling system clean and troublefree for decades because the 50/50 mix is 100% effective at preventing corrosion and deposits.

If it was the Toyota red, it had turned almost purple. I could see that it needed to be flushed.

I did painstakingly finish this job and I am glad I did. Got a fair bit of crud out in the flush. I now have a 60-40 coolant-water ratio (recommendation is 50%-70% coolant).

Its just plain peachy now.

(BTW monarch, I also cleaned the solenoid screen on the SC: quite a task but well worth it. Steering is super smooth now.)