Rear Engine Oil Leak

frodo1028

My 92 LS 400 has 146,000 miles and has developed a leak in the rear engine seal. I have all the service records for the car and the same seal was replaced under warranty at 52,000 miles. My questions are:

1) Is this a recurring problem for this engine?

2) Does changing this seal require removel of the transmission? :cries:

My 92 LS 400 has 146,000 miles and has developed a leak in the rear engine seal.  I have all the service records for the car and the same seal was replaced under warranty at 52,000 miles.  My questions are:

1)  Is this a recurring problem for this engine?

2)  Does changing this seal require removel of the transmission?:cries:

1. no

2. i think so. on some engines, you can get to them through the oil pan by removing the oil pump and it only takes a few hours, on other brands, they are on the outside fo the block between the engine and tranny.

2)  Does changing this seal require removel of the transmission?:cries:

Yes, you have to remove the transmission to get to the main rear seal. I did that some months ago with the help of an experienced friend of mine. No leaking anymore.

Good news: I took pictures and wrote a tutorial for lexls' great page. He said he'd put it together soon :)

Bad news: It's a helluva job. It took me 20 h of sweat and pain, but I saved around 1000-1500 bucks... A shop will charge you 7 hours, the seal is around $20. :cries:

Greetings from Germany,

Andy...

Thanks Andy! I grew up working on cars and trucks in my father's shop (many moons ago) and am aware of what a pain it can be to remove a transmission. Especially if you are working in your garage without the correct jacks. A shop with lifts and the correct jacks has a huge advantage! I don't know if I feel up to the task. I will have to call the local shops and get quotes.

:cries:

2)   Does changing this seal require removel of the transmission?:cries:

Yes, you have to remove the transmission to get to the main rear seal. I did that some months ago with the help of an experienced friend of mine. No leaking anymore.

Good news: I took pictures and wrote a tutorial for lexls' great page. He said he'd put it together soon :)

Bad news: It's a helluva job. It took me 20 h of sweat and pain, but I saved around 1000-1500 bucks... A shop will charge you 7 hours, the seal is around $20. :cries:

Greetings from Germany,

Andy...