Air Struts

prix

I have a leak on one which I will replace with rebuilt from Arnott at 1/3 the cost of new (this is air suspension strut/shock btw). Question: I was told there is a rubber bladder on the strut, and that over time these dry out/crack and the leak begins. Seems to make sense to me that the life of the rubber, etc. could be prolonged by applying a dressing or conditioner of some sort. Has anyone done this or thought of this? When you're talking 1,200 new, would seem to be worth investigating or at the very least considering. Any ideas as to a good conditioner? This is complete conjecture...have no idea whether this is even doable. Thanks all.

Answered my own question on this one. I spoke to a shop that specializes in air suspension components and they said there is no way to condition rubber on existing stuts to prolong life.

I have a leak on one which I will replace with rebuilt from Arnott at 1/3 the cost of new (this is air suspension strut/shock btw).  Question:  I was told there is a rubber bladder on the strut, and that over time these dry out/crack and the leak begins.  Seems to make sense to me that the life of the rubber, etc. could be prolonged by applying a dressing or conditioner of some sort.  Has anyone done this or thought of this?  When you're talking 1,200 new, would seem to be worth investigating or at the very least considering.  Any ideas as to a good conditioner?  This is complete conjecture...have no idea whether this is even doable.  Thanks all.