Power Steering Rack Solenoid & Pump Filters

Gumart1

I am going to be flushing my ps fluid soon with ATF DexIII and also wanted to clean my steering rack solenoid filter and pump filter screen.

I noticed that my steering is a bit hard. I have no visible leaks anywhere near the pump or rack so I am hoping a good thorough flush and cleaning will improve things. I hope there isn't a pressure issue with the pump itself. There is no noise from the pump.

LinuxFan has posted some nice pics of the rack solenoid and Monarch has shown us the screen. What is the best way to safely clean both screens without damage? Where exactly is the rack solenoid located in relation to the rack? Can I soak the rack solenoid filter in brake cleaner? And how do I clean the screen in the pump?

Gumart1, yes, Monarch seems to be one of the resident experts when it comes to PS. Do a search on his name and you'll come up with lots of threads dealing with PS issues. I have linked some of them and ones that I've participated in.

But to answer your questions briefly...

1) "What is the best way to safely clean both screens without damage?" I believe this is answered in one of the links.

2) "Where exactly is the rack solenoid located in relation to the rack?" Towards the drivers side at the 'gear box'. It can be accessed with the car up on racks.

3) "Can I soak the rack solenoid filter in brake cleaner?" Yes but just the tip where the screen is.

4) "And how do I clean the screen in the pump?" See #1.

Ps Resevoir Inlet Hose, How do I remove?

Solenoid pics in post #7

500 Miles From Home And Power Steering Going Out...

Power Steering Solenoid, power steering

I hope this give you more confidence to start your project.

BTW, Monarch, what happened to your Lexus pics at saber.net? They've all been deleted.