Drive Indicator Light

mailrail

My wife's Certified '00 RX's Drive Indicator Light on the dashboard has stopped working as is common, apparently, with other RXs of her year and the surrounding years. She took it in for service today for a Check Engine Light issue and while she had it there she asked them to fix the dashboard light also. They told her that bulb replacement is not covered under the certification program and it would cost $89 to fix it. I can understand why headlights, taillights, turn signals, brake lights and side indicator lights aren't covered, but these lights shouldn't fail after 5 years, should they? I never owned a car that had one of these bulbs burn out, except for maybe a 1970 AMC Javelin I owned as a kid. Think it's worth my while to write to Lexus about this???

My wife's 2000 RX300 also had the dash drive-indicator burn-out. She purchased her car 2 years ago with the Lexus Certified Warranty and the dealership REPLACED the bulb under warranty. The 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty had already expired but the dealership said that the drive-indicator bulb is covered by the Lexus Certified Warranty. The drive-indicator light is usually the first bulb to burn out because it's the one that's on the longest amount of time. I don't recommend anyone buying an RX300 without the Lexus Certified Warranty. We've had many issues covered by the Certified warranty [ Rear main seal, shoulder harnesses, gas knock, front strut rattles, etc. ] and it isn't over yet. [ ends May1,2006 ] The front strut problem is coming back just 2 months after the dealership was to have repaired them. [ Knocking/rattling when going into driveways or parking lots ] Also the alternator or the A/C compressor is noisy now. It seems as though it's always something. My '01 Silverado wasn't in the shop half as much as this car has been. Maybe it's because we've had higher expectations from a Lexus. Now I know why there aren't any RX300 repair manuals available to the public; this vehicle is a " gold mine " to Lexus service departments. The other day when I had the car in for it's oil/filter change I observed a woman going " bonkers" because of the almost $100.00 bill to replace a headlight bulb. It seems that the bulb cost about $12.00 and the 10-minute job was $80.00 for labor. The service consultant told her that ANY part of an hour is $80.00 labor! It seems as though the " high resale value " experienced by Lexus owners is extorted from them during the time of ownership!

I'll try again next time I'm in. I agree with you, Bowtie, about the Certified Warrnany program. So far, it's reaped me a new engine, and most recently, a new air-flow sensor when the Check Engine light came on.