Flickering Stereo Lights And Misc

codabugg

I just bought a 1991 LS400 with 136k miles from my boss last week. My 92 Blazer blew and I needed something quick, so I jumped on the deal for $5k.

So, a few days after I bought it, I noticed the lights for the stereo buttons started to flicker, then went out. They came back a few minutes later and did the same thing. What would be causing this? Now, the lights are off the majority of the time...they do come back occasionally though.

Also, on Monday and today, my "check engine" light has come on. Each time, it doesn't come back on after shutting the car off and starting back up. (Let me go ahead and tell you....I know nothing about cars!) So, I checked with Firestone and they want $100 to run the diagnostics. I decided to pass and see what else I could find!

When I got home, I took out the air filter and it was massively clogged! I beat it against the side of the house and plan to buy a new one in the morning. Question is, would that be a possible cause of the warning light coming on?

I've asked my boss about both of these things, and she swears neither ever came up on her. She had the car 2.5 years and only drove it a couple of days a week and always did the scheduled maint. on it....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, a clogged air filter could cause the check engine light to come on if you're not getting enough air flow.

As to the flickering lights - do the dash light flicker as well (speedo, tach, etc.)? Usually, but not always, they will also flicker if the console lights are flickering. I think you'll need to send in your instrument cluster to Jim Walker and have him fix it for you. Even if the cluster lights are working fine, the console lights are linked through it and that's where the problem most likely resides.

The dash lights are always fine. Even the console's upper panel is okay (aside from the typical blacked-out LCD)....just the radio lights. Also, just curious...why is it that the LCD is clear as can be when it's hot and blacked out when it's cool?

When I went to get the air filter this morning, the associate at the auto parts store called one of her mechanic buddies about checking the codes. He said I'd have to bring it in while the check engine light is on - that the computer doesn't store the codes....???? Huh?! I thought they were stored until deleted or whatever....