License Plate Light Bulb

TunedRX300

Tuned,

Your went in the right direction. You're almost there. After removing the phillips screw, lower the right side of the bulb housing. Then slowly and gently pull the housing by the lowered end, towards the right. The left side is held in place with a small tab that you will only see when the housing is completely removed.

As far as the bulb, the owners manual only says it's a 5 watt type D bulb.

Good Luck and Best Regards,

Tony

Tony,

Do you know RX300's front sidemarker has clear or amber bulbs? I want to move one of the bulbs (if it is clear ones) to license plate since I bought a pair of Euro clear sidemarkers with amber bulbs included. The bulbs are inter-changable, wedge ones according to Sylvania's web site. When they burn out again, it is LED time :P

Since you mentioned LED bulbs........ I'm new to the world of LED replacement bulbs. Can you fill me in on the advantages. I can think of one which is extended bulb life, but that's all I'm aware of.

Thanks

Update: Bulbs for front side markers are clear, but mine are rusted out. RX300's front sidemarkers are poorly protected from water, I have to replace bases also since rust killed all eletrical contacts.

Luckily Euro clear sidemarkers I bought on Ebay came with two amber bulbs and two bases. Now I feel smart buying not just lens but complete assemblies. :P

LED is solid state, which means no mechanical movable parts. A big plus since car movements shorten incandescent light's life. LED also does not generate heat and uses ~1/10 of power. Many people like LED because of color, e.g. hyper white LEDs do not have incandescent's yellowish color.

A negative on LED its directional projection, or not spreading light to more than a single spot. Better designs shave the bulb head to spread light if it is single LED bulb. Others use multiple LEDs in one bulb, each w/ different projection angles. You also want >6 LEDs, better >9 LEDs in a bulb, if you want readable light.

I will replace courtesy light with blue 9 LED bulb and use one of the clear ones for license plate. Blue is illegal in California for external usage.