98 Gs 4 Power Steering

Im getting ready to do the 90k service on my 98 gs4 and could use some help.Im mainly interested in the power steering flush.What is the easiest qay to do this?Im asking this because when its cold out you can hear the pump when you turn the wheei.This is a prob that just started and I always let it warm up completly before I drive it and then there is no prob.Im not counting on the flush to fix it but its worth a shot.So I guess wht I need to kmow is whats the easiest way to do this if any?Does this prob. sound familiar?And I was reading about and early 90s ls and someone recommended cleaning out some filters first before replacing the pump Does my car have these filters I believe there was 2?Thanks for any help.

The flush was easy to do on my 93 gs3. I have an evacuator it's about $30 at harbor freight.com or you can do a search for it online. I would first use a good quality power steering flush first. I used LUBE GARD PRODUCTS for flushing. Basically, you disconnect the return line to the power steering tank and use a hose coupling to hook the evacuator to the line you disconnected. Use a rubber or plastic vacuum cap to seal off the metal return line in the power steering tank. Pump up the evacuator and it will suck all the fluid out of the system, i used clear tubing for a short length so I could see when the new fluid was running through. Keep the reservoir filled with new fluid till you seen new fluid flowing into the evacuator and you're done.

If you don't want to use the evacuator you can also do it by running the line you disconnected to a bucket, however, it's alot messier that way and requires two people. Disconnect the coils so the engine won't start and Bump the motor over to drain the fluid out and keep the power steering reservoir filled until you see new fluid. Easy as apple pie either way :lol:

• 4 months later...
What would be a good replacement fluid?Other than oem.

Noise: The most likely cause of slight noise a slightly low fluid level or increased pressure in the system. If you are not moving and you are turning the wheels, maximum pressure is required to move them. I have seen few cars that do not make some kind of noise in this situation.

Filters: Not necessary.

Fluid: Any Dexron ATF II, III or better. Yes I said automatic transmission fluid. That's what it takes, but you knew that already! B)