Wake up your sc430

Mando5

Ever since I bought my 02 SC430 (last year) I have been unimpressed with the speed of transmission downshifts and the the uptick in acceleration after shifting.   Last weekend these problems worsened considerably with a total lack of acceleration after flooring the accelerator.    In addition the car showed two OBD2 codes which indicated lean mixture on both banks of the V8.   So, upon advice from a friend, I pulled the MAF (mass airflow sensor) and cleaned it with CRC spray solvent expressly designed to clean this part.   What a huge difference this made - up and downshifts are much faster, smoother, and the car feels like it gained 100hp.  It is likely that, after 22 years, this sensor had never been cleaned.    Since getting to the sensor takes about 2 minutes, I would advise all owners of SC430's to do this simple procedure themselves.   Apparently the ECU is incredibly sensitive to the condition of this sensor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1