Help sought for shopping for GX470

TheLilJohn

I am looking at a 2005 to 2009 GX470.  I am choosing 2005 as my start year due to guaranteed higher tow rating.

It is going to replace a 2002 Tacoma with 315k miles.

Intended use is daily driver with occasional project vehicle tow.  Typical 'commute' is 15 miles of curvy foothill roads(Sierra foothills at 3500')... zero freeway miles(maybe a total of 50 miles of freeway a month at worst)  For reference, my Tacoma rarely gets out of third gear🙃  In winters, I see snow/ice... it is not uncommon to leave the house to come home to 6" to 12" of snow on the ground.  No serious offroading is planned.. I have a nicely setup FJ55 for that.

Only intended mods from the get go are 'plate style' rear bumper, rocker guards, and maybe 'plate style' front bumper.  Also a large HD transmission cooler(B&M 70297)  No lift.  No big meaty offroad tires.  No power adders.  Depending upon how it does this winter, I may add selectable locker(s) to it.  My current 02 Tacoma electric locker has been nice at times.

From there, I'm at a bit of a loss of where to focus on.

Are there are options to avoid?  I've read people trying like mad to avoid the nav option.  I use and will continue to use a dedicated GPS so the nav functionality makes zero difference to me.  The integrated backup cam would be nice... seems to be optional starting in 2004.  Did it become standard at some point?

Is the KDSS something to avoid?  Is it only part of the Sport model?

I got to test drive a 2003 and found it to hit a lot of check boxes for me.  But not being 2005, it failed the bill for me and didn't join my herd.