No light in cluster and gauge needles dont move 1991 LS400

Billymanjoe

I just bought an LS400 1991 with a couple of issues. It was a risk but I need the experience anyway. I have little to no mechanical skills but I did a little research. 

It's worth mentioning this is my first car. Please, treat me like I know nothing about this car or any cars 

The backlight for the instrument cluster doesn't turn on, except for when I turn the car off, it flashes for a second. Dash symbols such as the check engine light and "TRAC" light turn on just not the lights for the speedometer, tachometer, or fuel gauge. 

And as for the needles, I'm not sure if they're stuck from gunk in the gears or if it's an electrical issue. My guess is it's an electrical problem.

From what I researched, there are three things that could be wrong with it.

1.) Worn capacitors in the clusters

2.) A speed sensor is malfunctioning 

3.) Blown fuse. Maybe 7.5 amp?

There are a couple of other problems with this car but I'm not sure if they're related to my main issue. I'll post them anyway because better safe than sorry.

Misc. issues

1.) a buzzing sound sounds like it's coming from right behind the driver's seat. It goes away after I turn on the radio. Might be power rerouting to the radio?

2.) The radio can't go past 14 volume or it'll go silent. I'd have to turn the volume to 0 then turn it back up to hear anything. That's probably just wiring. 

3.) the car just doesn't seem to start sometimes. I think that has to do with the battery. I was stuck in a parking lot because it seemed like the battery had died. I popped the hood and tried jiggling the terminals a little. It worked for a second, but then turned back off. I kept doing this until it got me home. Probably just a loose terminal? 

4.) if the a/c and radio are on, the overhead light either dims or just goes out completely. It'll turn back on after a second but it'll flicker like in horror movies. 

5). The antenna is stuck in the raised position. I have no clue why that is.

I was hoping I could just replace the cluster all together, but I'm not sure if that will fix anything. I'm on a budget and I want to make triple sure about any changes so I don't waste any more moneyIMG20240926030920.thumb.jpg.ffdbf0553f10594b244e75c112254577.jpg

Edited by Billymanjoe
edited for grammar and added some info I forgot to mention

Worn capacitors in the clusters and ECU are common problems for old LS400. You should fix it or searching Ebay to get the service.

2. Read Diagnostic Trouble Code, you can reference

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

3. As my experience,  If your battery works? the car start then turn it off might relate to Crank Position sensor.

Best Wishes.