Checking Motor Mounts

95LS400Bob

I have a vibration around 2000 rpm in the 95 Lexus. I suspected mounts as this vibration was felt throughout the car.

Checking the rear mount was easy. You can see it quite well and the rubber is seperated from the mount pad. So that needs replacing.

But the motor mounts look fine from under the car. The mount is designed that should the rubber seperate the engine will be limited in how far it can move upward. I suspected the mounts might be sperated but at the top where you cannot see. So I took a floor jack with a large board across the top of it and placed the jack under the oil pan. Then I started to raise the jack slightly and Lo and Behold..the engine comes right up and the mounts are seperated right at the very top. So now I ordered motor mounts.

Just a tip on how to check your motor mounts even if they look good from underneath.

When mounts seperate or sag it affects driveline angle which is especially critical with center supported (carrier bearing) type drivelines. So if you have mystery vibrations, look to motor and trans mounts first.