03 Gs300 Windshield Wiper

Can you describe what actually happened in a bit more detail? How does snow scratch a windshield? Driving on interstate highway, 55 to 60 mph, wet heavy snow started falling. Snow built up on wiper blades and front of car. Stopped several times to remove wet sticky snow/ice from wipers. Temperature was at 30 to 32 degrees while driving. Removed snow by wiping the blades with my hands and snapping the blade against the windshield. The wipers worked fine during the rain that followed. No indicattion the metal part of the blade touched the windshield. But yet about two four inch strips approx 1&1/2" appart are now on the windshield. Dealer replaced the rubber inserts at 15,000 miles

windshield wiper scratches

windshield_wiper_scratches

I was unable to view your attachment, but I get the picture. Though I can't tell you what happened, you do only have one choice. You need a new windshield.

I just got a new one last week (scratched it while I was cleaning it, don't ask) and I can tell you this. If you love your car go to a Lexus dealer for the windshield. Unless you trust your local glass shops, I feel it would be well worth the price to have it done properly.

The glass shop that has been doing my work (for the past 15 years) put the windshield in mine. There is a bit more involved in putting a windshield in a Lexus than meets the eye. The rain gutters on each side have to be removed (Lexus has the right tools) and the strips underneath them have rivets which have to be drilled out to remove them. I almost had a heart attack when I saw my handy-dandy glass shop using a prybar, yes, the carpenters tool to remove them. After that came out the old electric drill. Then the utility knofe that cut into the metal frame surrounding the windshield.

He got the glass in ok, but not nearly up to Lexus standards. The rain gutters don't fit right. The rearview mirror was 1/8" too high and required cutting the plastic cover that goes between the mirror and the headliner to make it fit (it was nauseating to watch this guy manhandle my once perfect car). The molding at the top of the glass is aftermarket, and it shows. And last but not least, the opening through which you read the VIN is crooked. He remarked, "looks like your car has a crooked VIN." I think not. Looks like the aftermarket glass isn't exactly equivalent to the "real thing."

I'm hoping a rock goes through it, as my insurance (as most) has 0 deductable on accidental glass damage. I don't know if they will go for the Lexus price though. The aftermarket is much cheaper.