Dirty Fuel?

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Ever since the day I first bought my 93 LS [last fall] there has been something wrong with the fuel and/or how it's getting through. [if that makes sense] Sometimes it's good - and other times it's not-so-good. I can never rely on the car to GO when I want it to GO. [or need it too] Sometimes it's fast and smooth - other times it's sluggish and the engine pings if pushed. I hate this. Part of the joy of owning a car is being able to count on it to respond - each and EVERY time - as expected.

Here's the problem.

As some of you may remember - if you've been reading my messages - my LS sat idle for months at a time every winter. For how many months is anyone's guess. The owner flew south to stay warm. As a result - the gas become a bit stale and dirty. There would even be a definite varnish smell - every now and then - when starting it first thing in the morning. That only lasted for about a month - but certainly indicates a fuel problem. [of some sort] I believe the entire fuel system is dirty. [or at least not nearly as clean as it ought to be] The fuel injectors were cleaned - just recently - and the car did drive better. But only for awhile. Now it's back to being unreliable. [as far as a consistently smooth get-away is concerned] But really - isn't merely cleaning the injectors like putting bars of soap into an unflushed toilet? Sure - it's will help - temporarily - but if the fuel is dirty from the tank on forward - then the injectors will continue to become dirty. Isn't that logical? [and probably the filters are dirty - too]

Question: If indeed the entire fuel delivery system IS dirty - is there anything that can clean it up? Should all filters be replaced? [is there more than one?] Should the tank itself be drained? What would you suggest? OR does this indicate some other problem?

Thanks,

Craig!! :)