2004 RX330 Power Liftgate support/Cylinder purchase and Replacement steps:
- Rear Power Lift Gate was not staying up - Gas on cylinder/support are gone/not holding up.
- With Power switch on deskboard/remote - Liftgate raise up all the way and then with warning signals comes back up..
- Also tried turning off power switch next to Glove Compartment and tried manual and it was not able to hold open...
Solution: Replaced both Liftgate support cylinders
Location for purchase: http://www.autopartsbylou.com/ - purchased ($78) from here - it is exact fit.
Steps to replace liftgate Cylinders:
** Warning: Follow instructions carefully - or go to dealer or shop to have it replace by professional. **
- Power Off - Liftgate on/off switch next to Glove Compartment (Open Glove Compartment and you see switch on left side).. Test with power button from remote and from deskboard to makesure Liftgate moter is powered off...
- You need one/two people for holding rear-liftgate while you remove and install new cylinder..
- Also find wooden (2x4) support to hold liftgate so other two people do not get tired of holding liftgate.
- Do not remove both liftgate supoort/cylinder at the same time... do one at a time...
- You need basic sockets tools kit (Craftsman kit would work) to open four bolts from left and four from right...
Assuming all above instructions followed then do following:
1. Remove first TOP two bolts of Leftside Liftgate Support Cylinder. Keep these bolts for TOP
2. Remove bottom two bolts of of Leftside Liftgate Support Cylinder. Keep these bolts for Bottom
3. Install new Cylinder on left side by installing bottom bolts (same bolts for bottom holes) and then top bolts.. make sure tight them well...
Follow same above steps for Right side of Liftgate Support Cylinder...make sure tight them well..
- Once done both side you can gently close/open liftgate manually and see if it close and open...
- Then Power ON - Liftgate on/off switch next to Glove Compartment (Open Glove Compartment and you see switch on left side)..
- Test with power button from remote and from deskboard to makesure Liftgate motor open Liftgate..
FYI - I have installed on mine, working fine last 2 weeks.