Code P0330 Knock (Sensor Bank 2)

HuevoNegro

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I read some other articles on here about replacing the knock sensor on a RX300. I had my check engine and VCS light come on after I cleaned the battery terminals. I checked the codes and it read: P0330 Knock Sensor (Bank 2) I reset the codes but they came back on a few mins later. I doubt that would cause my knock sensor to fail.. Would it be a co-incindence? My question is if 1 or the other or even both need to be replaced imediately, will it do any damage If i keep running the truck until they fail completely? The truck runs fine right now, it just has the check engine light and VSC light on. I might need to keep driving the truck until I can afford to replace them. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Daniel

Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified. The engine does not knock. So i'm assuming it is a faulty sensor. Do you know if it will do any damage if i keep driving it since it runs fine? It will go into overdrive just fine.

Thanks

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Note: many times when that code is shown you loose fourth gear in the transmission as the car goes into limp mode...once the sensor is changed the tranny acts normally afterwards....

Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified. The engine does not knock. So i'm assuming it is a faulty sensor. Do you know if it will do any damage if i keep driving it since it runs fine? It will go into overdrive just fine.

Thanks

Daniel

The knock sensor detection is below the level of human hearing and will generally be corrected for, enrich the mixture, before you would hear it even so.

"Read" the message, don't "kill" the messenger (the knock sensor).

• 6 months later...

Looks like you are having the same problems with your car that I had with mine. When my knock sensors went out, the check engine light came on and the car would not go into overdrive. Needless to say if you are driving the car a lot on the highway at 70 MPH, your RPMs are going to be pretty high if the transmission is not shifting into overdrive. Yes, driving the car for extended periods at high RPMs could cause engine damage. I had my transmission rebuild a year before the knock sensor went out. So when the car would not go into overdrive I thought I had transmission problems again. I took it back to the transmission shop and they diagnosed the bad sensors were causing the transmission not to shift. I had AAMCO replace the sensors for me, which fixed the Check Engine and Shifting problems.

• 1 month later...

Usually the Car wont goe into overdrive with that code....

This is definitely the case!!! When the sensor fails, the engine advances it's timing to protect itself from detonation. I'm currently having the same P0330 code come on my 2000 RX300, I erase it and it comes back shortly thereafter. When this happens the car rev's to 4000 @ 60MPH. I was told to not only replace the faulty sensor, but replace the other one too and ENSURE that Denso sensors were used along with a new wire harness. You'll need two intake manifold gaskets as well as a new plenum gasket. Anyway, I am going to be doing mine this Friday. Good luck to you!

Dom

• 3 years later...

as I understand knock sensor code iwould shows up when the engine is knocking. So how do we know if the code received is because of the bad knock sensor or bad wiring or because engine is knocking. Purpose of knock sensor is to detect knocking of engine. Everywhere in the net I see that if p0330 code is received then knock sensor needs to be replaced. However if the engine is having some issue, then ho do we know. 

• 1 year later...

I had a 2000 RX300 and the knock sensor (s) went out and it wouldn't shift into fourth gear.  I had both sensors replaced and it worked fine.  However, I had already burned the transmission fluid when I didn't notice that it was still in third gear and I drove on the freeway for too long.  The transmission then failed.  Instead of spending $4 000 for a transmission rebuild, I got another Lexus Rx300, 2002 model.  Now Advance Auto parts read the check engine light and code p1730 comes up as rev sensor.  ???  What is that?  Does it also inhibit shifting into fourth?  Or does it actually mean Knock sensor?  

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, 

Does anyone know what to do with fried wire for the front defroster?  First snow of the year I turned on the defroster on 2000 rx 300 everything was fine at first few minutes later I smelled burned plastic and low battery light came on and I turned the defroster off light went off. Next day alternator terminal was burned and disconnected car stopped.  I fixed that. Couple days later then that knock sensor (bank 2) came on. It's goes on and of by itself but, lately it stays on longer than it did before. I don't know how to get to defroster so, I can inspect and see if anything I can do to fix it.