2003 Rx300 - Dashboard Noises, Multiple

hogheaven

Before I start ripping apart the dashboard, I'd like to get some feedback for these noise issues in my 145k mile 2003 RX300. They appear to be originating (i think) from within the dashboard. The first, which has been going on for over a year is an intermittent clicking noise that can be heard regardless of whether the engine is running or not. It doesn't last long after the engine is off, but can still be heard for a few minutes. The second noise which began on 6/8/11, is a farting sound, also intermittent, but sometimes lasts for 10 seconds at a time. It stops completely when the engine is off. Sounds like it may be some type of vacuum hose issue, but I'd like an opinion. Thanks.

Before I start ripping apart the dashboard, I'd like to get some feedback for these noise issues in my 145k mile 2003 RX300. They appear to be originating (i think) from within the dashboard. The first, which has been going on for over a year is an intermittent clicking noise that can be heard regardless of whether the engine is running or not. It doesn't last long after the engine is off, but can still be heard for a few minutes. The second noise which began on 6/8/11, is a farting sound, also intermittent, but sometimes lasts for 10 seconds at a time. It stops completely when the engine is off. Sounds like it may be some type of vacuum hose issue, but I'd like an opinion. Thanks.

I also have the same two noises from my 1999 RX300 124K miles. The farting noise happened maybe 5 years ago and I have not been able to locate the source because it is intermittent. In my case, it usually happens when the Rx300 stops at signal lights with the transmission in drive or neutral.

It does not go away after changing transmission fluid. Two days ago, I have a major tune-up done (timing belt, idler, tensioner, all the belts, water pump, spark plugs, oil change, valve gaskets, cam seal, crank seal, 4 new brake pads, machine rotor, rotate tires). The farting sound stays. I just captured 3 occurrences of the sound after turning the video camera on while driving. This time it occurs around 26 min 31 secs and 27 min and 17 secs after starting the engine. I have to let the RX300 sit at idle with foot on brake pedal and shift at "drive" and wait. I did shift to different positions trying to find the condition that will generate the sound. When the sound occurs, it is only once or two times in a role.

I will upload the sound in my next reply to this post for comparison.

Here is the sound file in .mp3

Thanks alot for all of the input. My noises dissipated this weekend. I will wait for their return before I begin glove box removal in search of the servo's.

The recording of the farting sounds are faint compared to what we hear inside of our RX300. They were loud and sometimes lasted a full 10 seconds. They were also MIA this weekend.

Thanks again.