Cleaning Perforated Leather Seats

Avoid any "gels" (for example the Lexus brand conditioner) or any types that leave an oily reside (as it won't evaporate, and will collect dirt in the little holes).

If you can afford it, go with Leatherique's "Leather Rejuvenator".

If you can't, i guess... you can use Lexol's leather conditioner.

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any special precautions to take on cleaning the perforated leather seats? Will some cleaners/softeners cause the perforations to plug reducing the ventilated effect? Thanks.

Hi just finished the bus mgr meeting to get wife RX350 Premium--- now 2 Lexus family --fyi 2 + years got ton knowledge hooking up with some great detailers ---

i love the best the SONUS interior cleaners-(EDIT the cockpit detailer spray)- Clean use every 2-3 -4 weeks-- and the UV protector. once a year i seal with Ultima Interior guard---

My leather Black on Black is looking like new - I always get complements on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you from a detailers experience. NEVER use harsh chemicals on your leather seats. The BEST way to clean your leather interior and all trim parts inside your car is to use Dawn Dish Soap, diluted with warm water just like you would use to wash dishes. Use a clean white rag. You will get the best results with this method and the interior of your car will not smell like a chemical factory. It will also be very gentle on the perforated holes in the seats. Any cleaner that may have a bleach in it will weaken the stitching in the seats over time.

After cleaning...

Use a leather conditioner, just be sure to not goop up the holes in the seats. Put conditioner on white rag, fold rag over and rub together to saturated the rag. Never put conditioner directly on the surface or spray on the seats.

This is also a much more Eco friendly method of cleaning and I can tell you for a fact, you see amazing results, without the harsh chemical smell in your car.

I don't think I would use Dawn, its a very harsh soap.

An old detailers trick is Woolite:Water 1:6. If you read the manual on most luxyrt cars it reccomends a "Solution of 5% natural detergent for wool" Well...thats woolite. Works great.

We've been using dawn for years in the home furnishings business, it is not harsh when deluted. 90% of dirt and grime in a car is oils from your hands, hair, petrolium based scuff marks from rubber shoes and such. The dawn is able to cut that grease effectively without being harsh on the leather. Leather in cars...even Lexus is usually a lesser grade of leather than what is used in your home. The car endures harsher temperatures and more elements than a leather sofa. The top coats applied to the leather are tougher and thicker, therefore you get more top coat than leather that is embossed with a leather grain. Lexus leather is a top grain, but heavily pigmented to protect it. Analine died means it is died all the way through the hide.

So, dawn deluted is not harsh and works very well. Woolite will take much more elbow grease, but is a very effective cleaner as well, it's not as good with getting the grease and oils off.

We've been using dawn for years in the home furnishings business, it is not harsh when deluted. 90% of dirt and grime in a car is oils from your hands, hair, petrolium based scuff marks from rubber shoes and such. The dawn is able to cut that grease effectively without being harsh on the leather. Leather in cars...even Lexus is usually a lesser grade of leather than what is used in your home. The car endures harsher temperatures and more elements than a leather sofa. The top coats applied to the leather are tougher and thicker, therefore you get more top coat than leather that is embossed with a leather grain. Lexus leather is a top grain, but heavily pigmented to protect it. Analine died means it is died all the way through the hide.

So, dawn deluted is not harsh and works very well. Woolite will take much more elbow grease, but is a very effective cleaner as well, it's not as good with getting the grease and oils off.

And they use dawn to get oil off of the oil spill animals too.

But on a serious note. The same thing that slim Jim is saying is what I have heard about neutrogena. I learned this from family that owns a furniture business and they swore by it so I tried it and it works great. Think about it cleans oil and is gentle enough for your face. It also works on microfiber great too. My little boy got ahold of a ball point pen and drew all over my sectional! Came right out! Neutrogena.

I mean, we wash with Dawn to strip wax and polishes off the paint surface before polishing and waxing. Its a very drying cleaner, just feel your hands after washing dishes with Dawn.

Personally? I wouldn't. I'd be much more willing to try the Neutrogena...

• 5 years later...

First of all Leather seats are much like wood furniture. It has a finish on it. So when you are cleaning and polishing your seats,or furniture, you are not actually cleaning the leather or wood, you are cleaning and polishing the finish. Conditioning, softening or nourishing  leather seats or furniture is all marketing hype. The exception to this is danish oil finish on on furniture. I try to stay away from such products as the companies behind them are liars after your money. I think the suggestions of mild detergents and water to remove dirt is great.  What your goal should be is to clean the finish without damaging it, and they coating it with a protective film to prevent damage from sunlight and wear. Any good respectable product designed for leather care should work in my opinion. Just don't polish before cleaning or you may seal in the dirt. I use Groit's products because they have been around for a long time, specifically designed for automotive use, and have never heard of them causing harm. They can be purchased on-line at their website. They are not cheap but now ridiculously overpriced either. Some local chain auto parts stores have them as well. Frankly I do not particularly like Groit's as a company as they used to sell bullet hole decals for cars to make it look like they got shot. That already happens all to frequently in real life in the area I live in. Several people have been killed over the last year by just driving on the freeway and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But they do have good products and have halted this practice. Life isn't perfect and sometimes requires compromises.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would trust anything from 3M or Meguires.  They have been around for decades, do extensive research, and are highly regarded in the detailing industry.

Another blog I subscribe to recommends vacuuming perforated seats  shortly after application to remove excess product from holes.  Use a wide attachment, or one that doesn't concentrate suction so leather is not stretched.