1991 Ls400 Fire

briede

My 91 LS400 with 99k caught on fire and burned to the ground within a matter of minutes. The firemen couldn't put out the fire and gas started leaking and it turned into a major fire.

Needless to say, it is a total loss. Does anyone else know of this happening?

I was shopping in a store and came out 15 minutes later to watch my car burn to the ground. At least my child wasn't in the car. It was a good thing too it was in a parking lot and not in our garage. It would have burned our house down.

My 91 LS400 with 99k caught on fire and burned to the ground within a matter of minutes. The firemen couldn't put out the fire and gas started leaking and it turned into a major fire.

Needless to say, it is a total loss. Does anyone else know of this happening?

I was shopping in a store and came out 15 minutes later to watch my car burn to the ground. At least my child wasn't in the car. It was a good thing too it was in a parking lot and not in our garage. It would have burned our house down.

Pictures or an official report ?

What condition was the car in? What was the last service performed and when? Any indications of probs like burning smell, raw fuel smell, cels, abnormal temp readings, hot cats, etc? As much info as you have would help members give some opinions. but as DC has mentioned, an official report should have the cause listed.

ya i mean how does it just combust. it would have to be in the gas tank beacuse otherwise there is no fuel no electionics when the key is out. all circuts have no electricity running through them. and he should have taken a pic isn't that wat the allstate comerical says?

ya i mean how does it just combust. it would have to be in the gas tank beacuse otherwise there is no fuel no electionics when the key is out. all circuts have no electricity running through them. and he should have taken a pic isn't that wat the allstate comerical says?

It happens. I heard of someone's Caddy STS doing something similar; the people got out of the house but it did burn down. They said it was some kind of short in the transmission. The locks, the lights, there's plenty of power running through the car when the key's out!

I'm guessing most of the fluids in these cars are fairly flammable; an errant spark, a frayed wire, a small leak onto a hot component...anything can happen. It's not a Pinto though...this is the first I've heard of an LS catching fire. Maybe something on the ground below it caught (oil slick? gas leak?).

Glad to hear everyone was ok... that's the important part!

I wouldn't worry it's all BS spam.

(until there is proof)

What ever happened to that guy that claimed he had a race ready 600hp LS???? but never "got around" to posting photos?? :D hahaha

Yeah, I would like more details and some photos as well. Surely someone was around outside in the parking lot that may have seen where the car was first burning? Did it start in the engine bay, or inside the car?

Its true, I have rarely heard of a burned LS400 (where it was the cars fault) and have only heard of it twice. There is a report on NHTSA where a '92 LS400 caught on fire in the the engine compartment (again, the car was supposedly parked in a driveway, turned off), then I once saw an LS400 on ebay with an engine fire... the fire had started on the left passenger side of the engine... probably the alternator? <_< Had you said it was a Porsche, Range Rover, Audi, Jaguar, Chrysler, it would not be so rare... those cars seem to be plagued with engine fires... why, I have no clue.

Some of you may remember the "smoking" engine bay that I had a few weeks ago that I had no clue as to what it was. I finally tracked it down to occasional puffs of smoke from oil dripping from the valve cover... its rare you hear tell of a car leaking oil and catching fire, but if it could happen the way my luck is, it would happen to me. <_< I cant afford new valve cover gaskets now... and it may be awhile before I can. I have had several cars in the past with leaky gaskets and never had issues... heck, my old LS400 had 260K when I sold it and it had leaky valve cover gaskets for the entire 60K miles I owned it and never any issues. I guess it depends on the car and how hot the engine gets and where the oil leaks.

Its ironic about this coming up now, because a older co-worker has (or had) a early 90s Chrysler New Yorker with the 3.3L V6 he bought new... he parked beside of me daily. I noticed that several times I would get out of my car if he was already there and I would get this awful smell of raw gas... his car also leaked motor oil like a seive. I noticed one day that a rental pickup truck was setting in his usual space, but never thought much of it, but did notice it was a rental. Today when I left work, he was setting in it on his lunch break. I asked him if that was his fancy new truck and if he traded in the Chrysler and he said, no, that the car burned up! I was like, what?! He said one day he was off and was going to run to a nearby convenience store for some milk and he was going up a grade and the cars engine stalled... he stopped and tried to restart, but at that moment, jet black smoke started roaring out from between the cracks of the hood. Not realizing I guess, he said he jumped out and raised the hood and the engine was ablaze! He slammed the hood back down and started getting his things out of the car and someone finally called 911. He said of all times he forgot his cell phone and no one would stop... some old lady finally stopped and called 911. By the time the FD got there, the entire engine compartment was blazing, but it had not got inside of the car yet. It was a total loss anyway though naturally. He said the car had been leaking oil and brake fluid as well, so no telling what started the blaze. He had got his moneys worth of out the car for sure... thankfully no one was hurt. I have seen even alot of late model Chryslers/Dodges with engine fires... mostly the Caravans... there was a 2004 on ebay awhile back with a scorched engine.

Years ago, I also knew of a car (old Oldsmobile) in a parking lot that had caught fire on the inside... turns out the old man had left a burning cigar in the car. :rolleyes:

(until there is proof)

What ever happened to that guy that claimed he had a race ready 600hp LS???? but never "got around" to posting photos?? :D hahaha

haha im not saying its impossible but ya i don't believe it till i see pics (like the 600hp lexus lol) i mean im gettin new rims put on my lexus and my subwoofers installed today or tomorrowy (hopefully for my bday today :D )but im deff posting up pics when im done and all for constructive criticism. but ya i mean most of the electronics are off and it would had to have been due to a leak of some sort (or if you left a burning cigar inside your car :rolleyes: )

Lol thats why I asked if it was a bad neighborhood.

(until there is proof)

This is unneccesary. People who come here and post things don't need to prove themselves to you or anyone else.

Could it be spam? Sure, but it could also have happened. These things DO happen and on a car thats 18 years old there are any number of things that could have gone wrong that resulted in a fire, or it could have been set on fire...

Your nasty attitude though is contrary to the community's purpose, so keep it to yourself.

No one called anyone a liar SW :D Just some staunch encouragement! :lol:

I simply want proof!

I tend not to be too gullible on the internet! :D

Yes, this very well COULD have happened... and yes HAS happened, but to me it seems like there would be some photos of this awe inspiring event..

..or at LEAST an update from the OP.

No one called anyone a liar SW :D Just some staunch encouragement! :lol:

I simply want proof!

I tend not to be too gullible on the internet! :D

Yes, this very well COULD have happened... and yes HAS happened, but to me it seems like there would be some photos of this awe inspiring event..

..or at LEAST an update from the OP.

he brings up a good point though....alot of things are said on the internet :rolleyes:

but still i wanna see wat it looks like now (if theres anything left lol )