Rx 330 Roof Rack

lajkonik

On April 7th I picked-up my new RX 330 and so far I am very pleased with the vehicle except for the wind noise being generated by the roof rack cross members. Since I do not intend to use the roof rack I would like to remove it completely or at least the cross bars. I know that Lexus claims that they redesigned the cross bars to reduce noise, but the air flow across then still generates noise.

I have mentioned this to my dealer, but they claim that they have not done this before and think it may be a big job.

My questions to the forum are:

a) Can anybody tell me if they have had the roof rack or the cross bars removed and how difficult was it? B) Where can I find instructions on how to remove the cross bars and/or the roof rack?

• 3 years later...
On April 7th I picked-up my new RX 330 and so far I am very pleased with the vehicle except for the wind noise being generated by the roof rack cross members. Since I do not intend to use the roof rack I would like to remove it completely or at least the cross bars. I know that Lexus claims that they redesigned the cross bars to reduce noise, but the air flow across then still generates noise.

I have mentioned this to my dealer, but they claim that they have not done this before and think it may be a big job.

My questions to the forum are:

a) Can anybody tell me if they have had the roof rack or the cross bars removed and how difficult was it? B) Where can I find instructions on how to remove the cross bars and/or the roof rack?

In the rear there are black plastic caps that remove to expose the two 12mm bolts. You just need to loosen the back two ends and remove the two crossmembers on the roof rack. Leave the two side rails there otherwise you will have holes to fill in your roof. This should help with fuel econ. Be carefull puling off the plactic end caps when you pry them off to not break any of the clips. Heat it up with a hair dryer if it is cold.

Good Luck!