1992 Ls400 Questions.

jobambo

Hi, i am thinking of buying a 1992 LS400. IT has a few problems which i would like to fix. First the hood struts can not hold the hood up, how much for new ones and where can i buy some? 2nd, the button from the inside to open the trunk does not work. Is this a common problem? Thanks

The dealer charger about 100 a sturt but can be found cheaper ,look for a post regarding this in the ls section or the workshop tutorial on how to replace them with other brands for 30 instead.

the button might have the lock turned on which is unlocked by the key beside it.

i would get the alternaot check as well as seeing if the power steering fluid is leaking on it as it is very common to blowing them.

Yep, what sk said. Also, I hear that the lower ball joints are prone to go. I think the test is if the car drives well b/n 60mph-80mph; they're good.

Newlexusparts.com has the hood struts for approx. $85 a piece.

:cheers:

I put the $15 replacement hood lifts from Autozone on my car and they work great, much better than the originals. I installed them a yerar ago and they are still perfect. The only problem with the replacements from autozone are that they reduce the hood lift by a couple of inches. This doesn't cause any problems unless you have a big head. I will look up the information and post it tonight. I took pictures when I did mine. Took me 1/2 hr. You need a drill or grinder and a good shop vise.

• 1 year later...
I put the $15 replacement hood lifts from Autozone on my car and they work great, much better than the originals.  I installed them a yerar ago and they are still perfect.  The only problem with the replacements from autozone are that they reduce the hood lift by a couple of inches.  This doesn't cause any problems unless you have a big head.  I will look up the information and post it tonight.  I took pictures when I did mine.  Took me 1/2 hr.  You need a drill or grinder and a good shop vise.

Would appreciate if you could send me the information as well along with the pictures if you still have. I have the same problem with a 1991 lexus LS 400 Hood lifts.

Thanks.

Bobbyd.

• 5 years later...

hey guys i just recently bought a ls 400 1990

umm wuts the common problems i wanna get them all fixed

so far i have herd

Power steering rack pinion leaks would that be the rack seals?

some one said Ball joints

Hood shocks go over time but yea

any other problems?

hey guys i just recently bought a ls 400 1990

umm wuts the common problems i wanna get them all fixed

so far i have herd

Power steering rack pinion leaks would that be the rack seals?

some one said Ball joints

Hood shocks go over time but yea

any other problems?

What is "common" depends so much on how well the vehicle was maintained and used/abused. However, the PS pumps are prone to leak, the display for HVAC/clock blanks out, the valve clearance can get sloppy and "tick", the starter can get noisy, the EGR pipe can develop holes, ball joints go, Upper Control Arms go, rear diff seals leak, the trunk wiring harness gets chafed and most rubber suspension parts just rot from age. Hood struts are the least worry (though they do go bad).

You crying "Uncle" yet? :cries:

• 1 month later...