Remote Key Battery

Dear Friends

My dash warning comes occasionally (Red triangle) indicating that the remote proximity key is not found while I am driving. Strangely it happens when my wife opens the passenger side door while the key is in my pocket. Is this a big procedure to replace the battery? Just wondering whether someone has the instructions and pictures for DIY.

I hope the problem is with battery!!!

Regards

Arjuna

thanks for the fast reply, mine is a "Push Start" system with a key like a cube which I am suppose to keep in the pocket (Aug 2007 model). I am actually wondering how to open it...

thanks for the fast reply, mine is a "Push Start" system with a key like a cube which I am suppose to keep in the pocket (Aug 2007 model). I am actually wondering how to open it...

Wahh? Can you take a picture of the key and "push button" on the dash?

The Rx400h models did not come with push button start. That wasn't available until 2010.

The only "manufactured date" of 07 hybrid with PBS was the GS or LS...

WHAT THE!?!? :blink:

I want that!!!

Over here in the USA that's not even an "option", in fact i've never hear of an Rx400h having the push button start. I want it though!

Ohh and to answer the original question, (sorry, i got distracted!!) that smart key looks very similar to that of the '06-ish Toyota Prius, so the battery replacement is probably the same.

See here, pg 37/67 for pictures and such on how to replace the key battery. It's size CR2032 which you can get at Radio Shack etc.

http://freepdfhosting.com/bf8a9ed41c.pdf

If your key is definitely of a "different" design than that of the Prius here, can you post more pictures of your key? It's just hard to determine from the pic you posted what it looks like exactly. I can see the "buttons" portion is different than that of the Prius, but the body looks similar.

This is the first time i've ever heard of an 06-08 rx400h using a smart key system, and i bet it's the first for everyone else on this forum too, and even Lexus dealers here in the US! I wonder if this system can be added to our RX's? :geek:

Arjuna, would you mind posting your car's VIN # (found on a sticker located on the drivers door pillar)? I could then look up some of the part numbers for the smart key system!! :D

6gf02o.jpg

This is the Key - Lovely, Lovely lovely!!!

Let me try to help you with the VIN. If fact I am wondering whether the recent recall on inverter has anything do to with the model I have. I am trying to find it myself.

Thank for the pics.

Arjuna

This is the Key - Lovely, Lovely lovely!!!

Let me try to help you with the VIN. If fact I am wondering whether the recent recall on inverter has anything do to with the model I have. I am trying to find it myself.

Thank for the pics.

Arjuna

Hmm... that's a good question! I'm sure the recall would apply to yours since it was made prior to the date Lexus supposedly discovered the bad soldering... :wacko:

The VIN is all over the car on most major components (doors, engine, etc). The easiest place to look is on the dash near the bottom of the windshield on the driver side, on a stamped/etched tag, from outside the car.

Jeezaloo, could there be anything else different between the Japanese and US versions?? :blink: Why would Lexus do this?

You're guess is as good as mine as to where the VIN would be located... :rolleyes: For all we know there isn't a VIN! I tried searching for the VIN on a Toyota Harrier Hybrid (apparently another version of the Rx400h) but couldn't seem to find anything that looked like a VIN number... Here in the US vin numbers look like "JTJGW31U672564" but maybe it's different for other spec Rx400h's. :rolleyes:

Hi All,

This is the VIN I found. This is on the left front side door panel.

Based on IT, mechanics and electronics I know this is definitely a physical key bypass with a solenoid to unlock the steering within the cylinder unit itself and some relays to activate ACC, ON and start positions.

The cube insertion is for emergency only. There are places the proximity reading fails - especially near GSM towers and high security zones. Almost all the time it is in the pocket.

I thought I helped you on the info. Keep me posted on progress.

Cheers

Arjuna

post-127511-0-17891600-1310144829_thumb.

Hi All,

This is the VIN I found. This is on the left front side door panel.

Based on IT, mechanics and electronics I know this is definitely a physical key bypass with a solenoid to unlock the steering within the cylinder unit itself and some relays to activate ACC, ON and start positions.

The cube insertion is for emergency only. There are places the proximity reading fails - especially near GSM towers and high security zones. Almost all the time it is in the pocket.

I thought I helped you on the info. Keep me posted on progress.

Cheers

Arjuna

That's good info! I'm gonna email my Lexus dealer with that VIN and see if they can find any data on it and/or any part numbers that might be able to be installed on our Rx's. Thanks for the help! :cheers:

• 2 years later...