Ls400 Newbie

blake918

Well...I finally found a LS for myself :) ! It's Black Onyx with tan interior. It's got a lot of the options like memory seats, cd changer, moonroof, etc. The car has 225k miles on the clock, and she just purrrs like a kitten. This car drives much, much better than my ES. I love the smooth, semi-floaty ride and racey V8! But, most of all I love the ammount of room up front which is why I decided to get rid of the ES in the first place. Everything is great about the car except for the messy interior and the drivers seat needs some leather work. The stereo is excellent for a stock setup, and the interior is sooo quiet even with part of the weatherstripping missing on the drivers door! The car has a few little quirks(most annoying is the power steering wheel adjustment that goes to a different position everytime I insert/remove the key) here and there, but it'll be fun fixing her back into showroom shape. It's time for "another" timing belt soon too!...that should be an interesting project! Thanks for all of the advice you guys have given me over the course of my search for a LS :) .

Here are a few pics. I snaped early one morning(...and an afternoon shot with the ES!):

DSC00275.sized.jpg

DSC00276.sized.jpg

DSC00277.sized.jpg

DSC00281.sized.jpg

Congrats! What year is that, 95?

Are you sure the power wheel isn't functioning properly? The way it works is the wheel goes up and in when you remove the key, and then returns to whatever position it was last in when you insert the key.

I found that true about the older ES' vs the LS too, the ride differences are more pronounced then compared to current gen ES' and LS' the ES has come a long way. In fact, its pretty hard to feel a difference in the ride of the ES and LS now, the LS may be a little quieter, and it seems a little softer sprung but thats about it.

Thanks Steve :D ! You're right it's a '95; I can't believe I left this part out!

I'm pretty sure the steering wheel is acting weird! The steering wheel has a mind of its own! I like the wheel telescoped all the way out and tilted mid range; I'm the only one that drives the car, so the wheel never changes position other than when the key comes out/in. When I take the key out, the telescope does something different everytime...the tilt is pretty consistant though. I'd bet that something is dirty or corroded in the housing. I'll fix this after I get my factory repair manuals. Steve, you remember those Mr Clean erasers someone was talking about in the detail forum? I tried them today on the seats and trim pieces, and they did an amazing job with the grime!

:cheers:

compared to current gen ES' and LS' the ES has come a long way. In fact, its pretty hard to feel a difference in the ride of the ES and LS now, the LS may be a little quieter, and it seems a little softer sprung but thats about it.

Wow is that really true - that the 2004 ES 330 rides very nearly as smoothly and quietly as the 2004 LS 430? I have not had a chance to ride in a '04 LS, but would have expected the differences between a LS and an ES in ride smoothness, quietness and seat comfort would be very substantial - perhaps as great as the differences between a Camry and a Echo !

However, I won't argue with you since you're dad has a 04 LS and I'm sure you've had a chance to check it out thoroughly. But are you really so satisfied with your '03 ES that you don't lust after your dads '04 LS? I mean if you had to take a cross country trip, would the ride, quietness and seating comfort of your ES really be a close match to your dad's LS? Would the ES really allow you to drive almost as far as you could in an LS without fatigue setting in?

I paid $6,500 for the LS. I actually had to pay more because a lot of people wanted the car which shocked me. This car is just what I wanted-a roomier car, and at a price that a teen could afford! I think it was a pretty decent buy; this is a rare find, so who knows if it is actually a deal?!?! I looked at autotrader and ebay , and '95's with b/n 110k-150k are at the $10k range. Mechanically the car is great, but it needs another timing belt very soon! The driver's seat is the only real eyesore on the car and the carpet needs cleaning badly. If a '91 can have 550k, this '95 should be able to exceed that drastically...no one believes me when I say it has 225k! They say more like 22k :whistles: .

Wow is that really true - that the 2004 ES 330 rides very nearly as smoothly and quietly as the 2004 LS 430?  I have not had a chance to ride in a '04 LS, but would have expected the differences between a LS and an ES in ride smoothness, quietness and seat comfort would be very substantial - perhaps as great as the differences between a Camry and a Echo !

However, I won't argue with you since you're dad has a 04 LS and I'm sure you've had a chance to check it out thoroughly.  But are you really so satisfied with your '03 ES that you don't lust after your dads '04 LS?  I mean if you had to take a cross country trip, would the ride, quietness and seating comfort of your ES really be a close match to your dad's LS?  Would the ES really allow you to drive almost as far as you could in an LS without fatigue setting in?

I logged a lot of miles in my dad's previous 98 LS400 so I'm really familiar with the LS. I haven't driven his new one nearly as much, but the driving characteristics of the LS haven't changed much, probably because there isn't a lot of improvement that can be made.

Before I got my ES I was looking at CPO 00 LS400s and 01 LS430s instead, because all my experience was with the LS and thats what made me want a Lexus (it truly is a wonderful car, the best on the road I think, the LS). I drove a LOT of LS' and new ES' back to back. They ride and sound remarkably similar. The LS feels a little more heavy (more thud over expansion joints etc) and like I said is sprung slightly softer but they're remarkably close for the $20-30,000 difference in price. The LS obviously has a lot more power and passing and acceleration are effortless while the ES can be somewhat anemic at times in comparison. I know folks who had LS' and actually stepped down to new ES because the ride was so similar for such less money. I mean the lease payment on the ES is half that of the LS. I went with the ES finally because I really wanted a new car and didnt want to risk paying for pricey strut or shock replacements, brakes etc on an LS with 40k or so on it and to avoid the V8 service fees (maintenance on an ES is about half that of an LS in cost). I switch cars with my dad for a day once a month or so to detail his 04 LS and he comments almost every time after driving my car all day (he drives practically all day for work, puts 30k a year in miles on a car) how great the ES drives and sort of asks out loud what he's paying for. He's just kidding about the "What am I paying for?" bit, he'd never drive an ES (he always buys the flagship of whatever company he's purchasing from), he says that about everything lol but he's serious about the ride similarities.

Sure though, I'd rather have an LS and hopefully by 2007-8 or so when I'm ready to get rid of this ES I'll be able to move into one new. They designed the ES to be a "Baby LS" (straight from Lexus' press release) and they really did, it really is like a baby LS. The LS is larger, more room all round especially in the back so that makes travelling in it more enjoyable I suppose, plus the LS has a lot more toys ;)

Another thing-

The LS eats up miles like nobody's business. These things get 150-200-300,000 miles and they still ride like new. I totally believe blake when he says people dont believe it has 225k on it. This may be the real difference between the LS and the ES we'll have to see as mine ages.

Thats one of the true joys of owning an LS is driving it forever, because it will run as new for 10-12-13 years. Someone like my dad really wastes the LS by getting a new one every 3-5 years, the real beauty of that car is its longevity. Keep the oil changed and the paint well cared for people will think you're driving a new car a decade from now.

Trouble deciding which one to drive?

Never a doubt B) ! The LS is a far superior car in my opinion. The seats are better, the powertrain is much better than an already excellent setup in the ES, and the interior room...their is no comparison! I also like the much heavier feel of the LS because I found the ES to be very light.

You're right Steve! The LS still drives like brand new! However, I do get a soft clunking noise when I go over a bump. I suspect some kind of bushing or mount in the suspension. Not to big on my priority list because the clunk is really soft. Lexus needs to work on this; the ES does the exact same thing. The timing belt is very high on my list of priorities at this point in time.

I was kind of disappointed to find that the paint on the hood(probably 1k's of rock chips...it looks like white bugs are smeared on the hood and roof, but it doesn't come off even with clay), roof, and trunk(there is actually a very little spot where the paint cracked, and there is a itty bitty speck of rust. :angry: ) is in very poor condition. I find it so bad that I'll probably have it repainted at some point. The funny part is the sides of the car sparkle perfectly!

Thats pretty common, the horizontal surfaces take almost all of the UV and heat beating compared to the sides, and Lexus black has no clearcoat.

Did you ever wind up buying a PC (Porter Cable orbital buffer) Blake? If not it may help restore the paint to its best condition.

Can you post some pics of those white specs?

I'd definately order one. The one we sell here at www.lexuscarcare.com is a good package because it includes everything you'll need, a cutting pad, a polishing pad, and a finishing pad. Hit it with some Meguiars DACP and the cutting pad, some P21S Gloss Enhancing polish or some Poorboys Polish with Carnuaba with the polishing pad, and top it off with something that hides marring like Meguiars NXT sealant and it'll look great.

I hope that will work. I'll take some close ups tomorrow(put the sony camera to test!). The car has a few little scuffs of all corners. I felt them, and they all feel like the damage hasn't gone into the paint. Steve what did you use when that jerk hit your car?? thanks

That's a nice looking car! I'm glad to see there are members here who are interested in getting under the hood and elsewhere, not afraid to fix the little things and maintain a car with a few miles on it.

:rolleyes:

I almost hate suggest such a product for a lexus but those small chips will go away temporarily with some Black Colorcote sealer polish. Its one of those color "waxes". I had an Audi with similar sanded road damage from the preious owner heading up the mountains to ski all the time, the front of the hood was speckled. Waxing the car will then leave the specks white. Anyway, while your getting around to addressing it properly with new paint, this would bring back a solid black appearance.

if you want to look for a replacement seat, www.car-part.com is the best nationwide search I know.

BTW - my first lexus, a 1992 LS400 w/107K is on a carrier coming up from Florida right now. Due to arrive on Sat. It is Dark Walnut Pearl Metallic of which I have not been able to find a picture of anywhere. I was lucky enough to buy fron original owner in Tampa with all service at the local lexus dealership.

Hey Blake. Nice looking rig, they are sweet aren't they.

getting back to one of you annoying problems, the steering wheel tilt. Mine works fine but I shut it off anyway. I do not need my steeering wheel to go up and down automatically. I got it where I like it and shut it off. There is a switch on the left side of the steering column. I know there was a post (with pictures) decribing detailed instructions on how to repair the power steering wheel mechanism. If you can't find it, I saved it and have it on my computer. Email me at dwmahony@cox.net with your email address and I'll send it to you. I just check and I have it in PDF.

Denny

Steve I just ran outside and felt the hood...lol. I can feel the residue or whatever it is. The Clay Magic bar didn't even phase the white specks. I think I'll bring it to a professional and let him buff it if I can't get it some kind of way.

Thanks Pluto! I don't mind fixing a few things up to move into a much nicer, bigger car. Have anymore info on that colored wax you were talking about?? I think I'm just going to let my upholstry guy take care of the seat and console cover since he did such an awesome job on the ES!

Thanks, Denny....it's a very sweet car! I hate to bash the ES because it's a great car too, but this one is much, much better-I guess that's why the msrp is 2x!! I'd like to turn off the steering wheel like you, but I think they did away with that little button you are talking about, right? I don't see it! I'm still waiting for the owner's manual to come in from Lexus. I don't think the gears are broken; I think it's a dirty switch or something like this because I have to wiggle the switch to make the wheel move, and when I take the key out, the wheel goes to random positions :wacko:. When my repair manuals come in, we'll crack it(steering housing) open and take a look. Annoying probs...I finally figured out where I have a burnt bulb!!! One of the bulbs in the 3rd brake light is out, so I'll have to replace it. I can't wait to get rid of that dam burnt bulb light; it's been staring me in the face for a week, and I can't take it any more...lol

Does anyone know what that corner lense is for on the front of my '95? I played with all of the different lights, and I couldn't make them light up. Any thoughts???